Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2014, 10:08 AM   #1

repair back window stitching given up

hi , new to forum

Has anyone else had this problem. The stitching along the top gave up and the window has dropped forward.

any easy diy repairs that look tidy ?

richp39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:54 AM   #2

Garage
There is a very good recent post in this forum from someone who replaced their back window at home. I don't remember who it was- a search would turn it up. Try sail-rite or sailrite in the advanced terms. I believe he got materials from them.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:13 AM   #3
Registered Boxster abuser

SPEEDY STITCHER | eBay

healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:59 PM   #4

I posted recently about replacing the vinyl window completely. Replacing the stitching alone would be a much easier job.

My post is here

I don't really go into detail about the actual sewing process, though. The sewing awl that Healthservices posted is exactly the same one I used. The only thing I did differently was to use the heavest standard sewing machine needles I could find rather than the huge needles the awl comes with.

Sailrite's youtube video on repairing shoes is perfect for giving you the technique it takes to sew with the awl for this project, too. I think I found it on their website, but you could probably search youtube directly as well.

Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote