Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013, 11:17 PM   #1

Fiberglass curing time. Is 2 months normal?

Hi, if anyone is familiar with fiberglass, can you tell me how long the resin need to cure before installing and painting.

I ordered a bodykit from Austria and the manufacturer tell me I need to wait for 2months before they ship out. They tell me they need to wait for the material to cure before packaging and before I install it on my car otherwise the bodykit will change shape as soon as I paint it.

I can understand 1-2 weeks for drying but 2 months seem like a long time.

Thank you

TAKART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:57 AM   #2
Beginner

Garage
Depends on the resin and activator. I have rush shipped custom made fiberglass shipping containers and stunk up the high bay for a week. Whether they were curing is debatable, but they sure were off gassing. I'd believe the manufacturer.
Jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
Track rat

Garage
2 months cure time seems silly. More likely they are out of stock on your particular parts and run large batches through those molds only a few times per year. In aerospace applications, sometimes parts are oven cured at 120F to improve tensile strength and even curing. Many resins are highly flammable so this process must be used under very controlled conditions.

Never rush fiberglass parts or you will end up with crap. Don't ask how I know this.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:22 AM   #4

Thank you for the help. I also think 2 months is too long. The manufacturer give me the option to refund all of my money so he is honest and give me a choice. But I need this bodykit soon, not in 3 months including the shipping time.

ah well. So I understand that the longer the curing time the better. Then I'll be patient but the young boy in me is still very mad

thank you for your explaination
Old 08-31-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
Track rat

Garage
You are welcome.

And how is Lyon France? It is one of my favorite cities in Europe. My daughter lived there for 1 year studying French and playing water polo with the local team. Marvelous food and wines from the Rhone river valley that rival the finest wines in California.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKART View Post
Thank you for the help. I also think 2 months is too long. The manufacturer give me the option to refund all of my money so he is honest and give me a choice. But I need this bodykit soon, not in 3 months including the shipping time.

ah well. So I understand that the longer the curing time the better. Then I'll be patient but the young boy in me is still very mad

thank you for your explaination
another option is the GT3 bodykit that's for sale on this site that's in England.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
You are welcome.
And how is Lyon France? It is one of my favorite cities in Europe. My daughter lived there for 1 year studying French and playing water polo with the local team. Marvelous food and wines from the Rhone river valley that rival the finest wines in California.
I am not from Lyon originally, I moved here a few years ago and still adapting to the local culture myself. I would rather be in CALI but that maybe in another life
Old 09-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
another option is the GT3 bodykit that's for sale on this site that's in England.
(lol) ok, woodman. very appreciated