Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
Vista glass

Garage
Water pump/coolant questions ?

Let me start by saying thank you to all here who have contributed information to get me this far. I had a water pump failure in the best possible place. Three blocks from home. I heard a thump and the warnings lit up. I thought it was just the belt but inspection revealed the water pump pulley shaft had snapped. It is a1998 base model. OK I got 83,500 K out of it. When I removed the pump the original full gasket was present, but there were newer hose clamps and possibly at least one new hose at the pump. I have no records from the PO (grrr). I don't know what type of coolant was in there. I got four gallons of green stuff out. My first question is. Was the original coolant green? I plan to flush but don't know how meticulous to be as I will be using Porsche pink and distilled H2O as I go back to avoid the gel.Second question. Are the longer water pump bolts located at 3 and 6 o'clock looking in from the passenger compartment? They seem well seated in those positions. From advice here I installed a composite impeller pump, new low temp thermostat,new hose clamps and drain plug crush washer. I inspected the engine mount and did a new fuel filter since I was there. Bought the latest version of the coolant expansion tank cap. Got a new serp belt although the old one looked OK. I also did new mobile 1and filter, repaired under panels (thanks Pedro) replaced missing bolts on brackets and threw in an air filter. I can see upcoming service needs and will address the usual suspects as this experience has been rewarding thus far.

Last edited by Vista glass; 08-01-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Vista glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:47 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista glass View Post
Let me start by saying thank you to all here who have contributed information to get me this far. I had a water pump failure in the best possible place. Three blocks from home. I heard a thump and the warnings lit up. I thought it was just the belt but inspection revealed the water pump pulley shaft had snapped. It is a1998 base model. OK I got 83,500 K out of it. When I removed the pump the original full gasket was present, but there were newer hose clamps and possibly at least one new hose at the pump. I have no records from the PO (grrr). I don't know what type of coolant was in there. I got four gallons of green stuff out. My first question is. Was the original coolant green? I plan to flush but don't know how meticulous to be as I will be using Porsche pink and distilled H2O as I go back to avoid the gel.Second question. Are the longer water pump bolts located at 3 and 6 o'clock looking in from the passenger compartment? They seem well seated in those positions. From advice here I installed a composite impeller pump, new low temp thermostat,new hose clamps and drain plug crush washer. I inspected the engine mount and did a new fuel filter since I was there. Bought the latest version of the coolant expansion tank cap. Got a new serp belt although the old one looked OK. I also did new mobile 1and filter, repaired under panels (thanks Pedro) replaced missing bolts on brackets and threw in an air filter. I can see upcoming service needs and will address the usual suspects as this experience has been rewarding thus far.
The green coolant was the old stuff, and no longer available. It was replaced by the pink coolant, which is completely compatible with the old green product, so you should have no worries there.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
Vista glass

Garage
I appreciate the help JFP. The job went well and I am back on the road.
Attached Images

Last edited by Vista glass; 08-06-2013 at 08:27 PM. Reason: added images
Vista glass is offline   Reply With Quote