Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #1

installing pss9 and tarret sb and dl

Hi guys,

i will install my pss9 this weekend and my tarett rear swaybar and droplinks from my cayman

i bought a 996 gt3 swaybar to put in front and install my cayman tarett front droplink

i saw on the net that i might need some special droplinks

is that the case for a 2004 boxster?
or its only valid for 98-99 boxster?

thx

Paseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #2

anyone using the stock tarett link or we need to install the extended link?
Old 07-23-2013, 12:15 AM   #3

If you are serious about driving.. buy the long links

If you have zero driving experience.. the short ones will work just fine.

Why we run the long links:

The short links actually pull UP on the anti roll bar unloading the OUTSIDE tire in a corner (not what you want)

This induces mid corner understeer (you don't want this)

The short links work really well for newbies = it adds pressure to the steering wheel and they tend to unwind the wheel a tad faster because the of the feedback through the steering wheel
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post
If you are serious about driving.. buy the long links

If you have zero driving experience.. the short ones will work just fine.

Why we run the long links:

The short links actually pull UP on the anti roll bar unloading the OUTSIDE tire in a corner (not what you want)

This induces mid corner understeer (you don't want this)

The short links work really well for newbies = it adds pressure to the steering wheel and they tend to unwind the wheel a tad faster because the of the feedback through the steering wheel
thanks brad, im in the Black group, before the instructors, i have exp in DE

currently, i have the short front links cause i had them on a Cayman. this is why id like to reuse them instead of buying the pair at 500$

if it can do the job, i would leave it like that and purchase them later on...

i plan to race with this boxster in PCA also

what you think?
Old 07-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #5

Unless you *like* taking things apart.. Do it right the first time!!
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:20 PM   #6
Boxster Abuser

yeah, if you ever think you want them, do them now unless you want to completely re-do the front end to add later.
4.0L Dry Sump Boxster GT race car - HRG #23
2005 Cayenne S - DD
Eric523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #7

I installed a set at CA Speedway festival of speed in the garages.. lol not sure I'd do that again

It's not hard, but tedious/time consuming.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #8
Track rat

Garage
Oh my, I think my car still has the early short adjustable drop links on the front. I am so ashamed.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:00 AM   #9

damn, my order from tarett is already on his way
Old 07-24-2013, 06:49 AM   #10
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paseb View Post
damn, my order from tarett is already on his way
Don't overthink it too much. My brother still runs a stock front sway and the last two events he wiped the track with my azz. I got him the last three years for the series but this year is gonna be very close.

Get your strut and sway bar setup done and just drive the car.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:19 AM   #11

Dave,

can you show us the lap times? I mean *every* lap of the session?
Old 07-24-2013, 07:23 AM   #12

PaseB,

Ira is on a house boat in the middle of lake Shasta right now, call the girls at his office back and have them ship the long drop links. If it didn't require complete removal of the springs/spring perch locking collar, I would'nt *push* you towards the long links, but it doesn't make sense not to do them while the shocks are still sitting in the box on a shelf. Removing all that while they are installed on the car later is a PITA.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:20 AM   #13

Quote:
PaseB,

Ira is on a house boat in the middle of lake Shasta right now, call the girls at his office back and have them ship the long drop links. If it didn't require complete removal of the springs/spring perch locking collar, I would'nt *push* you towards the long links, but it doesn't make sense not to do them while the shocks are still sitting in the box on a shelf. Removing all that while they are installed on the car later is a PITA.
thanks, they're on their way,

its just the shipping to canada is 50$ that kills me hehe
Old 07-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #14
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Dave,

can you show us the lap times? I mean *every* lap of the session?
Yep, got em for most events this year. All the SDR events with full lap details are available here: PCA SDR Time Trial Event Database

The other events are in my datalogger but I don't know how to post those online. I keep everything. Why do you ask?