986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   DIY Project Guides (http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/)
-   -   2003 Stereo and Speaker Upgrade (http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/37778-2003-stereo-speaker-upgrade.html)

Renorush 10-20-2012 12:48 PM

2003 Stereo and Speaker Upgrade

1 Attachment(s)
I know this has been written up a lot but I wanted to share my experience with everyone. I obtained a lot of info from the 986 forum (with many thanks!) and just wanted to give back in case anyone can benefit from what I did.

Attached is a PDF with photos and descriptions.

Enjoy and Good Luck!!

More 10-20-2012 05:54 PM

Nice what's that you got in replacement of the cigarette lighter?

mcomet 10-20-2012 08:30 PM

Thanks for sharing!

Renorush 10-20-2012 09:30 PM

The cigarette lighter is still there on the right side. On the left is the microphone for the Bluetooth hands free phone system that goes through the Kenwood head unit. It works very good in that location.

Nimbus117 11-06-2012 11:47 AM

Nice job, I went for a Pioneer 930BT double din as I wanted satnav.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1352234594.jpg

Renorush 11-07-2012 11:51 AM

Thanks. I considered the double DIN setup as well but was trying to keep the costs down to a reasonable level. As it turns out, with the trial and error issues I ran into throughout the process, I could have gone with the double DIN and maybe even saved money! Any way, nice job to you too. So what are the other parts of your system? Amp, speakers, etc?

Nimbus117 11-09-2012 01:31 AM

I have the front and rear speakers running off the head unit and an Alpine amp in the front powering the subs in the doors.

Just upgraded the software in the head unit so it's the same as the Pioneer 940BT as this has much better app support for the iphone. Also fitted a reverse camera and changed the dash speakers to Alpines.

I bought an ex demo head unit off ebay, by the time I sold the Porsche CDR23, disk changer & amp total installation was $300.

Renorush 11-10-2012 12:06 PM

Nice. You're making me want the double din! So other than the new Alpine's in the dash, are you still running the original speakers? How do they sound? I do have to say the 6 1/2 inch Earthquake subs I put in the doors make a huge difference although now that I've made so many changes it's hard to remember what it sounded like originally!

Parker986 10-19-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nimbus117 (Post 312043)
I have the front and rear speakers running off the head unit and an Alpine amp in the front powering the subs in the doors.

Just upgraded the software in the head unit so it's the same as the Pioneer 940BT as this has much better app support for the iphone. Also fitted a reverse camera and changed the dash speakers to Alpines.

I bought an ex demo head unit off ebay, by the time I sold the Porsche CDR23, disk changer & amp total installation was $300.

I know this thread is a year old, but may I ask are you still using your original door and rear speakers, or have you replaced those as well now?

Nimbus117 10-22-2013 09:01 AM

I never had OEM rear speakers, I bought this kit:

Pelican Technical Article: Installing the Boxster Rear Speaker Kit - 986 / 987

I still have the door subwoofers, they are so much better with a higher power amplifier and being able to configure them properly through the new head unit.

Parker986 12-29-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renorush (Post 310014)
I know this has been written up a lot but I wanted to share my experience with everyone. I obtained a lot of info from the 986 forum (with many thanks!) and just wanted to give back in case anyone can benefit from what I did.

Enjoy and Good Luck!!

I can't tell you how many write ups I have read on replacing the Bose system for the Boxster. I don't know how I missed this one, but I felt like it was written just for my situation. I am in the middle of an install and this was very helpful.

Thanks!

Parker986 12-29-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renorush (Post 310014)

Enjoy and Good Luck!!

Sorry, one question please. Where exactly is the ground stud in the frunk?

"I also used 10 gauge wire for the ground for each amp which goes around the inside of the trunk down to a ground stud and nut on the right side of the trunk underneath the trunk liner."