986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   DIY Project Guides (http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/)
-   -   Red clip, does it work..? (http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/37287-red-clip-does-work.html)

tony_fury 09-08-2012 06:14 AM

Red clip, does it work..?

I ordered the red clip along with the sport pedal set from Suncoast.
My question is are the motion sensors pretty sensitive?
I had a Mustang convertible that had a alarm sensor that put a security bubble around the whole interior and was pretty sensitive.

The reason I ask, I tried holding the switch in with my fingers and armed the car. Either I never had it depressed all the way, but waving my hand in the interior did activate the alarm.

Feedback appreciated
Thanks
T

bar10dah 09-08-2012 07:13 AM

Mine works. However, it's a bit delayed. Sometimes when I have my top down and the redclip in, I forget. Then when I reach into my car to grab something off my seats, as soon as I start pulling my arm out of the interior, the horn starts beeping. It would be nice if it went off right away as I was putting my arm into the interior.

Skrapmot 09-08-2012 07:31 AM

Mine works really well, I tried it out after I get my clip and it goes off when I reach into the car after about a sec.
It does seem to take 10 secs or so to arm initially.
Maybe the sensitivity is adjustable?

MaxQ 09-10-2012 11:14 PM

Yep. Works all too well. I tossed a ziplock bag full of rubberbands on the passager seat and it activated the alarm. Unnerving when not expecting it and it goes off while on the garage late at night...

tony_fury 09-11-2012 05:35 AM

Thanks for the feedback..
I received the red clip and tested it out.
Mine seems a bit delayed also.
It seems to allow you to put your hand in the car and sets the alarm off upon removal.
I noticed upon initial arming of the car, once the blinking dash light goes from a fast blink to a slow blink is when the motion sensors are activated.
Thanks
T

jb92563 09-24-2012 06:53 AM

Mine also responds slowly, delayed and does not seem very sensitive.

Where are the sensors?

Is there a way to adjust sensitivity, maybe through the electronics configuration with the PIWIS?

Nine8Six 09-01-2013 10:34 AM

Had the same problem, slow response, sometimes nothing at all. Dismantled the sensor assembly, clean dust off with acetone, and that was it in my case - it was filthy. Once cleaned all became ultra sensitive / normal operation

hope this helps someone

Guvs 09-01-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nine8Six (Post 360732)
Had the same problem, slow response, sometimes nothing at all. Dismantled the sensor assembly, clean dust off with acetone, and that was it in my case - it was filthy. Once cleaned all became ultra sensitive / normal operation

hope this helps someone

You couldn't post a photo of the sensor location or explain where it is ? Or are we talking about the two black alien eye thingies up by the rear view mirror !! If it is them ? am I likely to brake them when taking the black covers off !!
Guvs

Nine8Six 09-01-2013 10:53 AM

I've cleaned everything to be honest. Both the alien eye thingny up there and the IR sensor above the dash i.e. the small unit right in the middle of the dash, between the windshield defrost ducts. Pops right up (plastic clips careful). Seemed to work just fine in my case but I could be totally out of context beware! I'm not a Porsche pro like others here ;)

Nine8Six 09-01-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guvs (Post 360733)
am I likely to brake them when taking the black covers off !!

If you remove the two screws on each visor mounts, everything up there becomes loose. Gives you more room for prying the top unit. Feels safer anyway... I know what you mean by braking 'plastics' lol