Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 02:12 AM   #1

Remote not working

Boxter 2000 2.7

Key remote does not activate / deactivate alarm. I have changed battery. Red light flashes when button pressed but to no effect regardless of distance from car. I can lock car with key but when I unlock, alarm goes off and is then silenced when I switch on ignition.
Any help / explanation appreciated. Do I just need a new key? Do I have to go to Porsche dealer?
Thanks
Bill

BeaumontBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:24 AM   #2

Sorry think I posted this in wrong place?
BeaumontBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #3
1998 Boxter

Bill,
I have just bought a Boxster - 1998 model - took possesssion, today.
Dealer put a new battery on car for me today. But then key fobs have stopped working (dont know if they were working or not beforehand)
My problem same as yours. Will lock car with key, but when unlock car, then alarm goes off. I have two keys. One key flashes fast. The other key flashes slow!
There is only a lock / unlock option on these keys - do I need to resynchronise these keys - or could my problem be deeper routed
b5djm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:34 PM   #4

I am having similar trouble, the button on the key only works once in a while so I have been locking the car by inserting the key into the door, once in a while I find my hazards flashing and they go away by opening the car up. I'm only concerned because I don't want them to kill my battery, anyone resolve this?
speedyturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:58 AM   #5

Garage
i had the same issue. i googled for days and I tried everything from resyncing, to changing batteries and even praying to the porsche gods. nothing worked. the proper fix is to purchase a new key head with electronics ($200ish) then bring it to the dealer for programming ($100-150 depending on time dealer allocates for programming). Also, be careful when purchasing keys online/ebay because you need the white tag or else the dealer will not program it.

another option that I ended up going with was to purchase an aftermarket keyless entry system. I purchased a keyless entry/remote start system for $50ish.

Amazon.com: Avital 4103LXL Remote Start System with Two 4-Button Remote: Car Electronics

install was about 10 wires, even less for just a keyless entry. the alarm still activates/deactivates since it is triggered by the power door unlock/lock.

not only did i get a working keyless entry system, i also picked up a remote start for the cold Chicago winters the only con I can think of is that i have a separate fob for the keyless entry. but i dont mind since that is how the rest of my vehicles are. and of course you need to either know how to install remote start systems or have it professionally installed.
Autobot152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #6

same here just like BeaumontBilly i will look to put an extra keyless entry system i will anounce how it works.
powersports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:42 AM   #7

I have the same issue. Very interested to see what the recommendation ends up being. Was working fine until recently, so hoping an easy fix. Fingers crossed.
gazza971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:26 PM   #8

Have you had the battery disconnected. I had a '99 that would lose the remote function if I had the battery disconnected for any length of time. The key fob contains 2 alarm parts. There's the chip that is detected by the ignition which will alarm if you turn the ignition switch without a correct key. There is also a code that the fob transmits to the car to remote unlock. You can take it to a dealer to reprogram the alarm computer to accept the remote, however as noted above, if you don't have the key number (comes as a white easily lost strip of paper) you're probably going to end up buying a new one. Total cost about 2 hours and ~$250. And it has to be a dealer because the factory won't give an independent shop the codes even if they have the correct PIWIS or whatever the newer version is.

From experience, write down your key fob numbers and the unlock code for your radio somewhere that you'll be able to find later.
ARModen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:32 PM   #9
Beginner

Garage
The remote-control standby function swithes off after 5 days if the vehicle is not started or unlocked with the remote control to prevent discharging the battery.

Unlock the drivers door with the key, leave the door closed. press the lock / unlock button. The remote control is now re-activated.

Tags
alarm , key