Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 07:30 AM   #1
WV Boxster

Garage
Starting the stereo surgery

Front speakers out and starting the bracket removal. I am also adding some small sony satellite speakers from a couple of years back. I will post pics. The test fit makes the sound so much nicer, they will be mounted beside seats. Headed out to pick up h/u and replacement front speakers. I need the wiring harness for the new h/u, anyone have a place to pick it up quickly?

Also while have radio out and dash a part added another power point. I am always needing an extra power point. I am also test fitting a mount for adding a garmin where the cd holders are. While need to find a bracket for garmin that is very thin or might have to glue a small piece of plastic to back. Test fit on that ( I think looks sharp)

Old 01-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
WV Boxster

Garage
anyone with info on wiring harness? That is last piece, looked on internet found a possible match but takes a week to arrive. I am heading to Myrtle Beach this Friday and hoped to have a better sound system.

Finished the front speakers and that alone helped alot. Believe the back speakers would really make it complete but no new Head unit with harness.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
WV Boxster

Garage
ok have harness and did all connections. everything is working except memory on h/u. remove key and lose all memory. I know it is in the battery wire which is supposed to be yellow. I cut it and lost all power, so it may be crossed with the red. I thought red was switched and yellow constant. Does anyone know which way it is?

On a positive note new rear speakers are great, I will post pictures. Very cheap mod and great help with the sound system.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
WV Boxster

Garage
Done, wires were backwards on plug. so wired red to yellow and yellow to red. Also here are the new rear speakers. pics from blackberry tablet.