986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   DIY Project Guides (http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/)
-   -   99 Exhaust (http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/23907-99-exhaust.html)

99-986 03-04-2010 04:16 PM

99 Exhaust

Hi all,
Just aquired a topspeed exhaust for my 99 986. Want to install soon? Anyone do this with this brand before? Looking for some istructions / and beware of's!
Thanks
Norm

root_werks 03-08-2010 10:22 AM

There is a good and current thread in the tech/perf section you should read. One of the members is going through some broken stud issues. Good read for someone preparing to take on something like this. I think it's titled something like "Headers on Early Boxster"? Something like that.

-Dan

blinkwatt 03-08-2010 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by root_werks
There is a good and current thread in the tech/perf section you should read. One of the members is going through some broken stud issues. Good read for someone preparing to take on something like this. I think it's titled something like "Headers on Early Boxster"? Something like that.

-Dan

I thought those broken studs were related to removal of the headers from engine?

I've installed 2 Top Speed exhaust on 2 986s. I did have a weld crack on the first one,2 months before the 2 year warranty expired. Board sponsor Che,took care of me though.

Other then that it's cake to remove and reinstall,except for trying to get those damn clamps off the 'j' tube to realign all the old parts on the new muffler. Just hit them with a rubber mallet over and over. You don't even need to remove the rear bumper to R & R the Top Speed exhaust.

And almost all the bolts & nuts were old and rusty on both cars I've done it to,don't be scared.

CapDunn 03-08-2010 12:03 PM

blinkwatt, did you notice a performance gain with the headers and did you add the muffler package also?

blinkwatt 03-08-2010 12:50 PM

I won't touch the headers on my car. I've seen other people's nightmares here and on PPBB,with older cars that haven't touched the headers since the car left the factory.

I only have the muffler and for me to say I felt anything from it,would be far fetched. Member Randall_N dynoed his car with a +5hp across the board though,exhaust mod only and it's been documented here.

root_werks 03-08-2010 03:09 PM

You can tell equal length headers will help, may not be able to feel it (Seat of the pants thing), but they should help over the stock units. The 2.5's will do well with those style of headers over factory ones anyway, you get the collection with a little more pipe travel, thus raising the peak of the band which 2.5's like to rev anywhoo.

Headers are something I'll do, but leave the cats and muffler alone. Don't like loud cars. ;)

99-986 03-17-2010 03:24 PM

Thanks everyone. We are doing it this weekend. Happy to hear the bumper doesnt have to come off.

I will post the before and after vid on youtube and put a link here.
Norm