Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2009, 10:09 AM   #1

Evolution Motorsports high-flow intake installation

I installed an Evolution Motorsports high-flow intake in my '03 Boxster. Disclaimer: This is not a DIY guide - I'm writing this up to give you an idea of what you're in for if you elect to do this install yourself. As the directions state, this is a difficult install - if you're not a DIYer (i.e. you don't do brakes or oil changes), this install is probably out of your league.

No instructions come in the box. You will want to have the EVOMS install guide handy.

I removed my factory airbox in pieces (I'd seen someone else describe using that technique). This was not my initial intention - I was going to remove the driver-side intake manifold per the instructions. After removing the throttle body and half of the manfold bolts, I wussed out, put those parts back together, and used nippers to cut the OEM airbox in half to get it out.

Getting the old airbox out, whether you demolish it like I did or go the classy route and loosen the driver-side intake manifold, is the hard part of this install. Whichever route you go, this part's gonna suck. If you use the technique I did and break up and remove the factory airbox, BE CAREFUL! There are injector wires, sensor wires, and wires for stuff I couldn't begin to explain in the area of the airbox, so don't get sloppy!

Installing all of the Evolution parts takes all of 15-30 minutes. Piece of cake. The most difficult part of the install is threading and tightening the two bolts in the bottom edge of the new air enclosure. A combination of reaching down from the top and reaching up from below (a floor jack and a creeper really come in handy) will help a lot.

I rate this a 7 on my own DIY difficulty scale. For reference, I'd rate brakes a 2, rotors a 3, headers a 3.5 or a 4, and secondary cat bypass pipes a 6. It's definitely doable.

After I get some more driving time in, I'll post a response with sound and throttle impressions.

Last edited by sd_boxster; 09-26-2009 at 10:11 AM.
sd_boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:45 AM   #2

Before installing the EVO, my Boxster had a subtle dip in power nearing redline. In my dynoless opinion, that dip is no longer present - the 2.7 pulls nicely all the way to redline with less variation than it used to.

Answers to questions you may care about, or may not:

Q. Does it seem quicker?
A. Yes, but only incrementally.

Q. Does it sound tremendously different?
A. No. Granted, I was expecting the great sucking sound I heard when I installed an Injen intake on my last car, so the subtle difference is far, far less than I was anticipating. My bias aside, I don't think you'll be blown away.

Q. Am I happy with it?
A. Sure. The install had a happy ending, and my car runs (completely subjectively, of course) a touch better than it did before I started.

Q. Knowing what my car feels like before and after, would I do it again?
A. Probably not.

Q. Would I recommend this to someone else?
A. Depends on what you hope to get out of it. Want the satisfaction of a job well done and the installation of a reusable cone filter (and potentially the privilege of fouling your MAF )? Yes, get one. Want to feel power like you've never felt before tugging the fillings from your molars, ultimately filling the back of your throat with the bitter taste of fear, the tang of excitement, and the odd metallic flavor of decades-old amalgam? No, not so much.

All my opinion, of course. Your opinion, mileage, and overall experience may vary. Odds of winning depend on the number of entries, no purchase necessary, offer void where prohibited by law.

Last edited by sd_boxster; 09-27-2009 at 10:50 AM.
sd_boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:33 PM   #3

If you really want to see how great that intake is, monitor your intake air temps. You will see a amazing diiference between stock and evo. I noticed about 20degrees. Difference. The difference being that the evo box allowed more engine heat to the filter making my temps high resulting in less hp. I'm rolling with a stock box now and a drop in bmc.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:39 PM   #4

After seeing fitment of the Evo unit, I can understand how. The Evo is still a far cry better than a lot of "short ram" intakes available for import tuners that replace the factory airbox pulling cold air from the fender with a cone filter sucking hot air directly from the engine compartment.

I have seen some folks fab up a top for the Evo "box" to ensure that air gets pulled through the vent instead of from the engine bay - I may give that a try, and I may also seal up the gaps around the perimeter of the Evo unit to seal it up. Or I may just drive it the way it is for a while.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:26 PM   #5

IMO the EVO intake is not worth the cost, effort or performance gains/loss

There are other modifications or upgrades that you can do where your money is better spent

Last edited by Wingnut2u; 11-02-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Wingnut2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:02 AM   #6
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Thanks for that assesment. Pretty much expected that there was no appreciable power increase but I have always read that there was a huge difference in sound from stock. Surprised that you said there was no big difference. Did you have you car desnorked prior perhaps, and that's why not much difference in sound?

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 09-28-2009 at 03:04 AM.
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:19 AM   #7

I installed the Evo years ago and notice a discernible difference in sound from stock; the sound is just plain louder and howling at full throttle. I've driven numerous other stock intake Boxsters and the intake sound isn't even close to the sound my car makes. Whether there is a gain in HP, it would be negligible; but the sound is tremendous.

Don't understand why you have a different experience, as I can't imagine the displacement difference would account for the distinct sound.

PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote