Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2009, 03:48 PM   #1

Anyone repair a stone chip in windshield

I have found a couple sites about the subject. I have also watched them do it at the dealership I use to work at.

http://www.automedia.com/Window_Chip_Repair/ccr20050601wc/1

http://yhst-13811118617756.stores.yahoo.net/vrwistchdrek.html?productid=vrwistchdrek&channelid=BCOME

Has anybody ever done this or found a cheap company that does it. safe lite charges like $120. The chip is less than the size of my pinky finger nail(smaller than a dime). no runs or spidering.

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg

Last edited by mptoledo; 08-02-2009 at 07:59 PM.
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:17 PM   #2

Ins fix

When this happened to me my insurance company (GEICO) paid for the repair.
ChefCarnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefCarnivore
When this happened to me my insurance company (GEICO) paid for the repair.

I have geico, was it repair or replace? Did you have to pay a deductable? Also did it do anything to your premium?

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:26 PM   #4

It was a repair

It was a repair and there was no deductible.

Sorry I took so long to respond. I forgot about the thread.
ChefCarnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:47 PM   #5

I had one on my truck and one on my Porsche. I took the Porsche to a specialty windshield shop and had it done for $65 in twenty minutes. Then I bought an $8 kit at Kragen and did the truck. Same results. Very difficult to see in either case. One key is a sunny warm day so there is no moisture trapped inside the windshield and so the glue cures via ultraviolet.
Kevfra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:33 PM   #6

If your windshield is only chipped or slightly cracked, we may be able to repair it by injecting a bonding agent into the broken area. this process restores the integrity of the windshield and stops the cracking process.a stone chip left unrepaired will eventually result in a cracked windshield or go to iowa auto glass.
marvin-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:57 AM   #7
onshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mptoledo
I have geico, was it repair or replace? Did you have to pay a deductable? Also did it do anything to your premium?
Geicko has a free chip repair on windshields, no deductible and no increase in premiums, they send a mobile service out to do it.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:17 AM   #8

I have state farm insurance and when I got a windshield chip a couple of years ago, they replaced the windshield, no charge, and I have a 500.00 deductable.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevfra
I had one on my truck and one on my Porsche. I took the Porsche to a specialty windshield shop and had it done for $65 in twenty minutes. Then I bought an $8 kit at Kragen and did the truck. Same results. Very difficult to see in either case. One key is a sunny warm day so there is no moisture trapped inside the windshield and so the glue cures via ultraviolet.

I had to laugh when I saw your post. I had a stone chip occur on my Boxster earlier this year. I skeptically bought the $10 DIY repair kit from AutoZone figuring I'd give it a try then drop real money for a new windshield. To my amazement the kit worked like a charm.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:58 AM   #10
tokmik

check with your insurance company. i have progressive and i get free chip repairs.

windshield replacement