986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   DIY Project Guides (http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/)
-   -   Fix for non-functional key switches (http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/21151-fix-non-functional-key-switches.html)

clickman 06-27-2009 07:49 AM

Fix for non-functional key fob switches

The credit for this goes to Kendo, but I thought it might be worth posting in the DIY section. I tried it and it worked for me:

Kendo:

For those that have just had the tactile switch fail and want to replace it it can be found at Mouser Electronics for $0.60 each.

Tactile switch

The item you want is figure "C" 101-TF25R-EV (at least this is true for the three button key FOB head on my 2004 key). I used the 400 gf switch for my failed unlock button, but comparing the operating force to the stock switches I think 300 gf would be closer to correct.

BTW the description says it is a thru-hole part. This is incorrect it is surface mount as shown in the picture.

De-Soldering and soldering this piece is easy. Just use a soldering pencil (get one at radio shack cheap) rather than a soldering gun.

sb01box 09-29-2011 04:38 PM

Thanks for the switch part number. Just ordered some from Mouser. Cost more to ship than the part. At $12 for parts (10 ea) and shipping, can't complain.
Have you looked into a glue that will attach the rubber (over the switches) to the plastic fob case? One key, excessive force to engage the alarm button has ripped the seam
Thanks in advance
Tad

Vista glass 07-14-2012 04:09 PM

Clickman Thanks for forwarding the info from Kendo. I just rejuvinated my spare key using that advice. I practiced the soldering first on an old circuit board and then went for it. Results.....perfect ...Key now works completely, saved $$$$ on this DYI. Thanks to you and this forum.

BrokenLinkage 07-14-2012 07:34 PM

key switch cover

To sb01box: I believe Suncoast still sells a replacement for the part of the fob that contains the small rubberized pads over the buttons. I had the same problem, was a quick inexpensive fix, unlike when I later lost that key...

sb01box 07-15-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrokenLinkage (Post 297646)
To sb01box: I believe Suncoast still sells a replacement for the part of the fob that contains the small rubberized pads over the buttons. I had the same problem, was a quick inexpensive fix, unlike when I later lost that key...

i've managed to glue the rubber together. looks like hell with the glue running all over the place.
once i get tired of looking at the messy fob, or when the rubber falls off, I'll get one from Suncoast. thanks for the tip

coolbreeze551 07-15-2012 02:34 PM

I gave this a shot but was unsuccessful and the battery still dies in a few days. Any ideas what I might of done wrong? TIA

garyman42 09-18-2012 01:00 PM

THANKS for this post! The micro-switches work great. I replaced all three on my 2001 key fob. All is well!

tony_fury 10-08-2012 06:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Order a couple tactile switches for my backup key fob.
The main arm/disarm locking switch was broken and missing the button.
I moved the front trunk unlock button to the main arm/disarm position.
These switches are tiny...
Thanks for the link to the site.. I updated the link to include the switches for anyone else. 101-TF25R-EV Mountain Switch | Mouser

Attachment 16630

Paul 05-26-2015 06:29 PM

Anyone have one for sale or know of another source?

dcorral 12-23-2018 06:45 AM

Mouser has the switches in stock $0.84 plus shipping