Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2010, 12:48 PM   #1

Angry 1997 Boxster will not start

About two weeks ago I replaced the battery in my 97 Boxster. The starter was sounding like it was straining and the battery was discharging while the car was sitting in the garage. After the battery was replaced, the car started OK for a couple of days and then nothing. During the time the car was idle, the battery was being drained by some open circuit.

I thought the ignition switch was bad, so I replaced it. Nothing.

I then jumped the clutch switch. Nothing.

I replaced the battery again. Nothing.

I replaced the ignition relay and the starter relay. Nothing.

When I turn on the ignition, all of the systems in the car seem to be working, headlights, radio, top, etc. just no ignition.

The starter doesn't sound like it is getting any electric power. I hate to replace the starter motor to find out that my problem was a switch or a bad wire.

anybody have any suggestions?

Zok

zokman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:05 AM   #2

Is it manual or tiptronic.
If manual, roll down a hill & let the clutch out.
If it starts & runs then you know it is the starter motor.
Pinarelloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:41 AM   #3

On the starter is a solenoid which engages the starter. This may be your problem not the starter. A stuck light switch in the front or rear trunk maybe not working and leaving your light on. It will drain the battery.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote