986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   DIY Project Guides (http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/)
-   -   DRL-Fog Light Hack (http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/20838-drl-fog-light-hack.html)

savinor 06-02-2009 08:02 AM

DRL-Fog Light Hack

I wanted DRL but did not want to use the low beams (Litronics) on my 2000S. My approach is to use the front Fog Lights as the DRL using LED bulbs which I purchased at auction. Of course the OE H7 bulbs can also be used.

The hack involves a single jumper wire between the Fog light relay and the Fog light fuse. Now the Fog lights go on and off with the ignition switch and are switched off when the high beam headlights go on.

Required Materials:

(10) inches of 16 gauge insulated wire

(2) Fuse taps, Radio Shack P/N 270-1204

(2) female Quick Disconnectors, Radio Shack P/N 64-3131

Procedure:

1. Strip the wire ends and crimp on the Quick Disconnects.

2. Plug in a fuse tap to each of the Quick Disconnects.

3. Locate the Fog light relay in the panel above the Fuse panel. It is #12, the far left relay in the second row from the bottom.

4. Attach one of the fuse taps to pin 86 of the relay. Bend the tap to conform to the bottom of the relay. Use a piece of electrical tape to hold the wire to the side of the relay.

5. Return the relay to position #12 and run the other end of the wire to the top of the fuse panel.

6. Remove the Fog light fuse, 25 Amp, #7 (top row, 4th position from the right) from the fuse panel. Slip the fuse tap on the wire end to the upper leg of the fuse.

7. Return the fuse with the tap up into position #7.

You're done.

70Sixter 06-03-2009 10:47 AM

Thanks, I've wondered about this capability. :cheers:

I've done a similar mod to my -6.

I've been using low beams as DRLs on two-lane roads.

Focusyn 12-18-2011 01:03 PM

Like 76er, I am on 2 lane roads, mostly canopy roads with twists and hills, and I was using my fog light switch for 'manual' DRL almost without fail. That is until the switch failed a few weeks ago. Rotation axis still works fortunately but the push/pull won't stay in any position but full down. So I logged in a few hours ago to search for wiring info to bypass it and run my own fog light switch for the time being until I collect on some accounts receivable and can afford an oem replacement (also buying new roof this month and that's more important because I have a gaping hole in the windscreen).

I was planning to do a DRL mod near future for some LED wraps but didnt realize it was this easy! I just want to vouch that for my 2000 2.7, using nothing but these instructions, i made a quick trip to Radio Shack for $5.38 USD (they didn't actually have 16gauge wire so that was for the connectors and the fuse jumpers), and completed this job from start to finish in under 10 minutes after getting home. So thanks and good post.

Two cents of input - the part number for the crimp connectors was a pack of 5 m/f pairs. If you want to run additional switches or relays you'll need a lot of female and no male, so I'd go with a pack of just the same females if they have such a thing. If you're just doing this project then it's fine either way.

Also i saw on some of the other DRL posts people asking about the same thing i wanted, which was all-the-time DRLs but with the capability to switch them off. Yes you can easily add a switch but you'll need more connectors, more wire, and of course a switch. I initially just did the recipe on this post to make sure it would work on my particular car but plan on adding a switch and LED bulbs as soon as the bulbs arrive so I will post the wiring and all that when i get it done.

thstone 12-22-2011 09:42 AM

Note that running the fogs as DRL's might result in long term yellowing of the headlight lenses. Most of us who have done the DRL fog hack change out the fogs to LED's to eliminate this risk.

Focusyn 12-24-2011 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 270067)
Note that running the fogs as DRL's might result in long term yellowing of the headlight lenses. Most of us who have done the DRL fog hack change out the fogs to LED's to eliminate this risk.

Awesome tip. I did that for the color anyway, but wouldn't have thought much about the yellowing. Here's my post-DRL-hack car.
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m..._temporary.jpg

thstone 12-26-2011 12:20 PM

Focusyn - looks great! I also think that the DRL's help to cut down on the number of drivers who pull out in front of me.

Bobiam 12-26-2011 06:06 PM

Savinor ~~~~
What happens if you use the fog light switch manually with this hack??? By accident, etc.
I already have my fogs hacked to operate with high beams as well as low beams. Suppose I"d have to give up that idea to use your instructions???

Between having a dark blue car and its size, I've never had so many other cars "trying" to hit me. People cut out in front of the Boxster like it is invisible. DRLs would be a blessing.

Thanks, Bob

JayG 06-16-2014 01:19 PM

Just did the hack and it works great!
took about 2 min total

Radio Shack no longer has the fuse tape. I found them at NAPA auto parts. Part num 784601, package of 4 for $4.49

Now ordering some LED fog lamps from Amazon. Found some 30W projector type for $30/pair

Thanks savinor
:cheers:

savinor 06-16-2014 04:42 PM

Great update Jay. Mine are still going strong without a problem after 5 years.

Rich

JayG 06-16-2014 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savinor (Post 405907)
Great update Jay. Mine are still going strong without a problem after 5 years.

Rich

My pleasure, it was exactly what I was looking for, besides you did the hard work in figuring it out.

Any recommendations on which or what type of H7 LEDs to use?
There are a boatload of different ones available.
Are low wattage ones that output 500-700 lumens too dim?

savinor 06-16-2014 06:44 PM

Mine are not that bright but LEDs are easily seen even if they don't project a lot of light. Kind of like looking into a flash light. I just wanted my car to be seen.

Chuck W. 10-27-2014 07:21 PM

Just completed this hack. Very nice.

Thanks Savinor!

savinor 10-28-2014 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck W. (Post 423131)
Just completed this hack. Very nice.

Thanks Savinor!

Glad you like it. What did you use for bulbs?

MoneyPit 10-28-2014 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savinor (Post 181352)
I wanted DRL but did not want to use the low beams (Litronics) on my 2000S. My approach is to use the front Fog Lights as the DRL using LED bulbs which I purchased at auction. Of course the OE H7 bulbs can also be used.

The hack involves a single jumper wire between the Fog light relay and the Fog light fuse. Now the Fog lights go on and off with the ignition switch and are switched off when the high beam headlights go on.

Required Materials:

(10) inches of 16 gauge insulated wire

(2) Fuse taps, Radio Shack P/N 270-1204

(2) female Quick Disconnectors, Radio Shack P/N 64-3131

Procedure:

1. Strip the wire ends and crimp on the Quick Disconnects.

2. Plug in a fuse tap to each of the Quick Disconnects.

3. Locate the Fog light relay in the panel above the Fuse panel. It is #12, the far left relay in the second row from the bottom.

4. Attach one of the fuse taps to pin 86 of the relay. Bend the tap to conform to the bottom of the relay. Use a piece of electrical tape to hold the wire to the side of the relay.

5. Return the relay to position #12 and run the other end of the wire to the top of the fuse panel.

6. Remove the Fog light fuse, 25 Amp, #7 (top row, 4th position from the right) from the fuse panel. Slip the fuse tap on the wire end to the upper leg of the fuse.

7. Return the fuse with the tap up into position #7.

You're done.

Does anyone have details on this for the 987?
Thanks

Chuck W. 10-28-2014 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savinor (Post 423173)
Glad you like it. What did you use for bulbs?

After going through a lot of different bulbs for my fog lights I came across these on eBay. IMHO, they look great. Eight day delivery from China. No heat issues.

2 Pcs H7 SMD5050 12 LED Car Front Fog Light Bulb White CREE Q5 Lamp 12V 30V S0BZ | eBay

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTg1WDU4NQ...cTg~~60_12.JPG

kjc2050 10-29-2014 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Focusyn (Post 270526)
Awesome tip. I did that for the color anyway, but wouldn't have thought much about the yellowing. Here's my post-DRL-hack car.
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m..._temporary.jpg

OK, maybe a dumb question, but I'm unclear on something: when you do this hack, do only the fog lights illuminate, or do the fog lights, parking lights, and side marker lights illuminate?

Chuck W. 10-29-2014 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjc2050 (Post 423267)
OK, maybe a dumb question, but I'm unclear on something: when you do this hack, do only the fog lights illuminate, or do the fog lights, parking lights, and side marker lights illuminate?

Only the fog lights and the indicator light on the interior switch.

kjc2050 10-29-2014 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck W. (Post 423284)
Only the fog lights and the indicator light on the interior switch.

Perfect. Thanks!

gerber28 10-30-2014 01:33 PM

Thanks, Super easy hack.
I've considered adding a led strip for DRL's but never found any I liked.
Usually run with low beams on in the daytime so this is a big improvement.

JayG 10-30-2014 03:26 PM

I was going to go with a LED strip as well, but this was much easier and works great

Just be sure you change the H7 Fog light to a LED or you might burn the plastic