Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2008, 12:01 PM   #1

CDR 220 Ipod Cable

My iPod is essentially an appendage. I take it almost everywhere I go, so I had to figure out a way to play it through my car's stereo. I wanted the best quality possible and the ability to charge the iPod at the same time, thus the only option was using the dock connector.

Most of the dock connectors I've seen run $40+ and Becker North America will be releasing one soon (they are waiting on parts from germany and are currently a month late) for $64. I didn't want to spend more than $20...

I bought this:
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?i=023IPODCBL&search=blaupunkt+ipod&tp=120&tab=review

Its for a blaupunkt unit, but after looking at the schematics I decided that its close enough and its priced well. After speaking to an employee at Becker, I found that it is possible to charge your iPod with this cable as well (at least theoretically, I haven't tried yet). Here is how:

First, you should disconnect the Red, Blue and glossy Black wires. If you don't do this and you connect your iPod you will fry the battery (happened to me). It should look something like this:

I used scotch tape because thats all I could find at that moment. Now if you don't care about charging your iPod you can go ahead and plug this into the unit and you are good to go.
After examining the Becker cable and speaking with the employee I was able to locate the Permanent +12v pin and the Ground (-) pin on the back of the radio (its not listed in the manual unfortunately.

Pin 9 is perm. positive and 8 is ground. For the Blaupunkt cable Blue is perm positive and Black is Bus Ground (which I guess is the appropriate ground pin seeing how this cable is made to charge an iPod and that is the only Ground pin left available). If you hook the wires up to those pins the iPod should constantly charge. I haven't tried this yet because I haven't come up with a good enough way IMO to insulate the wires from each other.

Hope this helps people that want iPod playback and charging capability for $20.

2002 Boxster S 6 Speed (Ocean Blue/Savannah)
-De-Snorkled, Porsche (B&M) Short Shifter, EVO Shift Linkage
-H7 HID Upgrade
-Rennwerke Maintained
1998 Bouvier (Brindle)

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/42...425x425Q85.jpg
fragdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:52 PM   #2

I bought this a while ago and works great... you can charge the ipod as well.

check it.

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=993

Best of luck!
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:53 AM   #3

Audioguy...does that cable plug in without modification to the 220 to enable ipod playback and charging? Not sure? Seems like first post indicated the cable needed to be modified.
Thx
G
gotmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmud
Audioguy...does that cable plug in without modification to the 220 to enable ipod playback and charging? Not sure? Seems like first post indicated the cable needed to be modified.
Thx
G
You can splice the connector into the power cables provided for a cell phone. If you remove the side and bottom covers for the center console, you will see it.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:51 PM   #5

I've got what you need...

I am selling modified cables that allow your iPod to plug into your Porsche CR/CDR-220 head unit. It is one cable with one plug on either end (i.e. simple). It plays music through the audio system and charges your iPod. No wire splicing is needed for installation. Simply plug and play. Installation instructions are included.

You can read more about it all at my site (it is still under development):

http://www.iwirep.com/

Cheers,
-Jeremy
RaisedOnPorsches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:52 PM   #6

work for cdr-210?

Does anyone know if this is the same connector for the CDR-210, in a 1998 porsche boxster. I just bought the car, and i am trying to keep it original as much as possible, but radio stations suck. Im trying to find the aux connection. Found the website that shows how.

BeckerAudio_Porsche CDR-210

Thanks
shawnslat258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:49 AM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
So I installed this ipod cable a while back and I must not be grounding it right. I have the power coming from the cell phone source but I get crazy bad alternator whine when driving. Where should I ground this sucker?
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:51 AM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
sorry I shoul dhave looked at the image a little more before posting
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnslat258
Does anyone know if this is the same connector for the CDR-210, in a 1998 porsche boxster. I just bought the car, and i am trying to keep it original as much as possible, but radio stations suck. Im trying to find the aux connection. Found the website that shows how.

BeckerAudio_Porsche CDR-210

Thanks
Give Beck a call, they are generally really helpful.

Tim, what kind of connection are you using?

2002 Boxster S 6 Speed (Ocean Blue/Savannah)
-De-Snorkled, Porsche (B&M) Short Shifter, EVO Shift Linkage
-H7 HID Upgrade
-Rennwerke Maintained
1998 Bouvier (Brindle)

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/42...425x425Q85.jpg
fragdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:28 PM   #10

It appears to be for the Becker 220......does anyone make an IPOD connector for the CR 210? The rear of the 210 is the same as the 220 but every cable I look at says it doesn't work on the 210..
NWI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:50 PM   #11

The CR/CDR-210 and CR/CDR-220 look essentially the same from the rear. The C3 port (that is present on both models) is not activated in the CR/CDR-210 models. I haven't had the chance to crack one open to see what is keeping it from using the AUX port, but to put it simply put these cables wont work for the CR/CDR-210.

If keeping your car stock/near-stock is really important to you, see about trading your CDR-210 for a CDR-220 plus minimal cash. Or just buy one off a folk in the classifieds. There is a very slim market for these head units so you should be able to bargain for it.

-J

RaisedOnPorsches is offline   Reply With Quote