Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2011, 02:34 AM   #1

Strut tower bars

While I rebuild my suspension and drive axle, I thought I would ask: What is the general consensus on strut tower bars to strengthen the Boxster's ride/reduce flexing? Do people notice significant improvements? What about Pedro's technobrace for the rear underside flex? I'm interested in benefits as well as whether or not they are waste of $$! Thanks in advance!

timurbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:45 AM   #2
Porscheectomy

Strut bars will always make some difference. How much you'll notice depends on your sensitivity and how you use the car.

I have all 3 bars (made my own lower bar) and didn't notice any difference when I added them. I have a front bar on my Rx-7 and immediately noticed an improvement in steering response so I think I am reasonably sensitive. The Boxster is really stiff to begin with.

Others say they can tell there's a stiffness increase.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:07 AM   #3
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Strut bars will always make some difference. How much you'll notice depends on your sensitivity and how you use the car.

I have all 3 bars (made my own lower bar) and didn't notice any difference when I added them. I have a front bar on my Rx-7 and immediately noticed an improvement in steering response so I think I am reasonably sensitive. The Boxster is really stiff to begin with.

Others say they can tell there's a stiffness increase.
+1
We essentially have the same front end as a 996 Cup car and they don't need/use strut tower bars. Probably not much gain there. The Pedro bar probably addresses the area of greatest flex and the most benefit. I used a lower stress bar for a while and thought it made a difference. I had to remove it for Time Trial competition as it is not legal in my class. The car still feels pretty solid.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:08 AM   #4

Garage
I have both front and rear strut braces, as well as a rear lower stress bar (Mantis Racing) installed on my vehicle . Here are my thoughts :

1. Front Strut Brace : Did a noticeable job of reducing some cowl creaks and squeaks
No performance or handling gains .

2. Rear Strut Brace : Zilch .

3. Lower Rear Stress Bar : Imperceptible difference on the street .
Old 05-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #5

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will try the front bar first and see how it goes.

Greatly appreciate the input!
Old 05-19-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
Carnut

I installed just the front strut bar/brace and it made a difference, no question.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:28 PM   #7

Out of curiosity, for those who have a front strut brace, does it interfere with doing a front end alignment?
Old 05-23-2011, 05:48 PM   #8
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by timurbin
Out of curiosity, for those who have a front strut brace, does it interfere with doing a front end alignment?
You remove the bar, set camber, adjust the bar and reinstall.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:29 AM   #9

Thanks, blue2000s. I plan to find someone to do the alignment and then will install it after that. Haven't checked pricing on alignments or even identified who can do a Porsche alignment (in addition to the dealer!) Any suggestions on good non-dealer alignment services? I read prior threads that some Sears auto centers have done a good job but it seems to depend on who is working there. Any suggestions always appreciated!
Old 05-24-2011, 05:51 AM   #10
Porscheectomy

Don't use sears unless you know the guy is good.

Find out who the guys in your local pca use. Also look for shops that do alot of work on track cars.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:16 PM   #11

With the Bristol Motor Speedway ("The World's Fastest 1/2 mile Oval") nearby, there should be some good mechanics for doing an alignment. I guess it will be a little research. I plan to call the Porsche dealer tomorrow to at least get a base cost for comparison. Any ideas on typical Porsche dealer charges for a Boxster S alignment?