Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2008, 12:17 AM   #1

Pioneer avic-d3 or ???

Hi, I am looking to replace my radio in my 2002 BoxsterS. After looking everywhere on internet and Boxster forum, I decided to go with the Pioneer Avic- d3. So I purchased the installation kit and I am ready now to purchase the system. But ... reading the review i found out that the principal problem with the d3 is the fact that the CD need to be in the reader for the GPS . So you can't use GPS and Cd in the same time. Other than for going where you program to go. Ok Ok My question is, is there an other pioneer ( since I bought the instal kit ) that is a better solution than the D3 ???

Thank's

quebecduf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:34 AM   #2
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
q,

I've been casually following the Avic threads and thinking about the same upgrade. From my minimal research I do know there are at least a few options from Pioneer that will work with the kit. Some have built in hard drives that hold all of the navigation data as well as extra space for you to rip your music direclty on as well. This leaves your CD slop open for use. I think most install the Ipod module and just use it as the primary source for music. I think there is/was a Z2 & Z3 model with these features plus other models.

If you haven't read the thread below have a look. Hopefully some more knowledgeable folks will respond with some more specific answers. If not, you may want to post your question on the thread attached.

http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15893

Good luck,

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:44 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
I recently put in the Pioneer Avic-F90BT. This is the replacement for the D3...Look into it. Its an awesome unit.
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:22 AM   #4

You're correct. I have the Avic D3 and you need to pull out the Audio/Video CD to put in the navigation maps but for $699 I thought it was worth it. You can use the iPod connector and run the iPod and Navigation at the same time. The navigation voice will pause the ipod when speaking and go back to the music. If money is no option, get the upgraded D3 - if you want to drop in a decent head unit, door subs, cheap amp for about $1K, go with the Avic D3. I put in JL Audio 6.5 subs in the doors and they sound great.

Good luck,

-Steve

JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (in the door)
Pyramid 4 channel amp
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote