Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2008, 08:13 PM   #1

Subwoofer?

Hey, has anyone here installed a subwoofer in a Boxster? I plan on putting top notch speakers possibly matched with an amp. I am also contemplating cramming a small sub somewhere. I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with that.

Fortunately my office mate is an audio technician and can get hook me up with anything I want, like the sub used in the GT-40 meant for small spaces. Since I don't have power seats at least an amp can fit there, I'm also thinking behind the roll bars in that small cargo net area an enclosure can fit there. Possibly in the dash could be enough room for a small driver.

I'm not looking for earth shaking bass, just something to give it the kick needed. Possibly a good set of components would be enough. Thoughts?

-Greg

944boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:55 AM   #2

JL Audio

I dropped in a pair of JL Audio 6.5 inch subs on the doors and a new 4 channel amp. They sound great! I'm using the stock dash speakers for now and they also sound fine. My amp is in the front trunk.

Search this site for the door removal instructions. The first time you remove the door skins it might take 3-4 hours and the second time it's about 30 minutes.

Here's some tips on adding an amp:

When you unplug the stock amp there are 2 connectors. The big fat one is the one to the speakers that you'll end up cutting. The smaller one with thin wires is the one that feeds the sound into the amp. Here's the wiring colors for the thicker wires on the fat black connector for my 2001 S

Striped wires are negative.

Right dash speaker
Red = positive
Red and brown = negative

Left dash speaker
Yellow = positive
Yellow and brown = negative

Sub door speaker (I think this is the right side but might have this reversed)
Brown = positive
Brown and Green = Negative

Left door sub (again might have this reversed with the right)
Purple = positive
Purple / brown = negative

solid brown is the ground (don't need this but could use this if you wanted to ground the new amp)

Blue is the switch (don't use this)

I'm assuming that you don't have the optical audio system.

run 2 sets of RCA cables out the back of the stereo. Slide the batter to the passenger side and you'll see a rubber grommet, cut an X in the grommet. Run the RCA and other wiring from the head unit through that grommet. Also remove the carpet in the front trunk by removing the plugs with a door removal tool and there is another rubber grommet to the passenger side cut an X in it with a box cutter and slide the RCAs through. run the RCAs down the pasenger side and the power and speaker wires down the drivers side (easier if you remove the spare tire).

You'll need to remove the plastic covers and some of the carpet.

You’ll want to get a ground loop eliminator, otherwise you’ll hear a humming sound. You can pick them up at Radio Shack or eBay for $15. You’ll only need one. I hooked mine right into the Amp inputs.

There is an article on this site on how to run the wires, etc.

Take your time and good luck
JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (in the door)
Pyramid 4 channel amp
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:10 AM   #3

Wiring

Did you use the stock wiring\crossovers with the 6.5" Subs in the doors?

Cheers,
Paul.

PaulSeales is offline   Reply With Quote