986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   DIY Project Guides (http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/)
-   -   Don't use the Goodyear Gatorback belt (http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/17069-dont-use-goodyear-gatorback-belt.html)

silver arrow 06-07-2008 08:06 PM

Don't use the Goodyear Gatorback belt

I tried to install one today. I double checked the part number and it was correct. I made sure they put the right belt in the package, it was. It is just to small. No amount to force was going to get the belt on. I went and bought a Duralast belt and it fit perfect first try just like the factory belt.

An added bonus, the whining noise while the A/C was running is gone. The old belt must have been slipping.

Both belts said they were 83.5 inches but the Goodyear belt was about an 1" to an 1.5" shorter than the Duralast belt. The Duralast belt was about a 1/2" shorter than the factory belt, but that is probably due to the old belt stretching.

Just wanted to save everyone the headache and frustration I went through today for what whould be a straight forward and easy job.

:cheers:
Sean

986Porsche986 10-21-2008 07:36 AM

Thanks for the tip Sean. I am also having trouble getting my new dealer belt onto the pullys. No matter what I try. Thinking of just going with the duralast belt as well.

JDBOXSTER 10-21-2008 11:09 AM

Tight Belt Issue

Purchased from Pelican Continental belt part 996-102-151-66.
Same problem way too tight.
Where can I get the Duralast belt? Autozone?

macyfilms 10-26-2008 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver arrow
I tried to install one today. I double checked the part number and it was correct. I made sure they put the right belt in the package, it was. It is just to small. No amount to force was going to get the belt on. I went and bought a Duralast belt and it fit perfect first try just like the factory belt.

An added bonus, the whining noise while the A/C was running is gone. The old belt must have been slipping.

Both belts said they were 83.5 inches but the Goodyear belt was about an 1" to an 1.5" shorter than the Duralast belt. The Duralast belt was about a 1/2" shorter than the factory belt, but that is probably due to the old belt stretching.

Just wanted to save everyone the headache and frustration I went through today for what whould be a straight forward and easy job.

Sean

How would rate this in terms of difficulty as a DIY project? Seems to be quite expensive at the dealer.

sg

Burg Boxster 10-27-2008 02:38 PM

in terms of difficulty.... 1.5 (on a scale of 10)

in terms of stuff needs to be removed to get to the belt...3 (none hard just a couple # of things before you can get there - rear storage shelf, carpet on engine cover, firewall carpet and metal shield).

Here's a recent thread w/ more info. If you have the Bentley manual, it'll tells you how to route the belt. If not, there's definitely info here just do a search for it.
Recent Thread on Poly-rib/Serp Belt Replacement

vath2001 11-28-2008 02:53 AM

Gatorback 0k for me

I bought the Gatorback from Autozone. It matched in length the factory belt I pulled off and fit fine. I bought the Gatorback because some of the AutoZone Duralast items I have picked up have not held up.

And it is easy to change... except finding / borrowing the 15/16 end wrench or socket... I did see that AZ does sell those wrenches/sockets.

BYprodriver 11-28-2008 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver arrow

Sean

I had the same problem with a Gatorback belt, seemed like it was about a inch short for my 2000 boxster S

vath2001 11-29-2008 03:26 AM

Belt length

I installed the belt into my '98 Base. I wonder if the belt length is different between the Base and S? You can always take in the old belt and match the lengths at the store. These belts do not stretch... may a couple of mm's, not inches.

Good luck