986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   DIY Project Guides (http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/)
-   -   DIY On-Board Computer Upgrade Question (http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/16781-diy-board-computer-upgrade-question.html)

Fulcrum 05-14-2008 11:40 AM

DIY On-Board Computer Upgrade Question

Hello all,

I just acquired a 1997 Boxster w/41,203 miles in what my local mechanic says is terrific shape. It is a completely base car - it has NONE of the options that were available for that first year. I am looking into the OBC upgrade. I have researched several of the "how-to"s, and ordered the parts, but before I begin, I have a question.

In the digital portion of the tachometer, I already have a readout of external temperature. Does this mean that my OBC has already been enabled and I do not have to bring it in to the dealer to have it enabled?

Any thoughts or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Fulcrum
(new to the Boxster APR 2008)

kabel 05-14-2008 12:45 PM

I don't thinks so, the outside temp display is standard.

CJ_Boxster 05-14-2008 12:48 PM

The Outside temp display on the tach isnt standard, If you see it, then that means someone has already activated your OBC, you just need to install the 4th stalk or do the OBC button hack to toggle between the other readouts.

Boxtaboy 05-14-2008 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
The Outside temp display on the tach isnt standard, If you see it, then that means someone has already activated your OBC, you just need to install the 4th stalk or do the OBC button hack to toggle between the other readouts.

CJ's right. If you can see the temp now, your OBC is already enabled, so all you need to do is install the 4-stalk unit or install a rocker switch to toggle between the other readouts.

CJ_Boxster 05-14-2008 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
CJ's right.

Am I ever anything else... :cool: JK JK!

Franco 05-14-2008 07:24 PM

Hi,

"CJ's right. " :D :p ;)

CJ_Boxster 05-15-2008 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franco
Hi,

"CJ's right. " :D :p ;)

Thanks, paypal sent lmao :D

Kirk 05-15-2008 01:06 PM

+1 for CJ being right... my 2000 S didn't display the outside temperature until Loren enabled it with his PST2.

kabel 05-15-2008 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
The Outside temp display on the tach isnt standard, If you see it, then that means someone has already activated your OBC,

:Johny Carson: I did not know that. :cool:

Fulcrum 05-16-2008 04:46 PM

DIY OBC Follow-up question

Thanks to all for the response. I was wondering if anybody had an opinion as to whether or not using the two switches on the dash is the way to go, or would it be better to install the stalk. (NOTE: The computer control stalk would be my third stalk - I don't have a cruise control....)

rick3000 05-16-2008 07:18 PM

The second switch is only useful if you want speed gonging and to be able to scroll through the menu backward. (You don't need either of these features.)

Speed gonging is probably the most useless thing Porsche has ever thought of. It allows you to set a speed, then when you reach it the car will beep. You don't need it, and it isn't worth the extra $35 for the second switch.

Also, I don't think you can get the OBC stalk without getting the cruise control stalk too even if you can't hook it up to anything. :cheers:

aussieboxy 05-16-2008 10:23 PM

DIY Guide?

My car has had the upgrade as I have the outside temp display. Is there a DIY guide to installing the switch to step through the OBC?

Thanks

Tool Pants 05-17-2008 12:06 AM

If you go with the stalk then buy the 4 stalk switch assembly and cut off the cruise control stalk. The 4 stalk assembly is cheaper than a 3 stalk assembly for some reason.

kbrandsma 05-17-2008 12:28 AM

I disagree, I find the speed gong useful. I set it for 40 mph and find the ding helpful within the city limits when the speed limit is usually 35 mph. Regardless, some find the 4th stalk in their way when they track their boxster. I don't, so I decided in favor of the fourth stalk. If you decide to get the stalk version, buy all four stalks and then remove the cruise control stalk. It is cheaper than just buying 3 stalks without cruise.

Fulcrum 05-17-2008 04:27 AM

2nd Switch for OBC Upgrade

Quote:

Originally Posted by aussieboxy
My car has had the upgrade as I have the outside temp display. Is there a DIY guide to installing the switch to step through the OBC?

Thanks

There is a guide at www.pelicanparts.com that has an optional step that discusses hooking up the second switch to be able to use the "Scroll Down" and "Speed Gong" features.

Fulcrum

aussieboxy 05-18-2008 12:57 AM

Thanks Fulcrum

Thanks Fulcrum. Do you know exactly where on this site it is?

Cheers

aussieboxy 05-18-2008 01:31 AM

Found it

I found it. If anyone else is interetsed here it is.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/box_OBD_Mod/box_obd_mod.htm

Thanks guys.

Paul_B 01-07-2009 10:43 AM

I used this guide and it worked fine (my OBC was also mysteriously enabled when I got the car, which was nice).
http://www.whiteson.org/boxster/mods/obc/

Despite spending time and effort doing the mod (not to mention the ridiculously priced switch I bought from my local dealer), I only really use the temperature display now.. :o

ALarracuente 10-28-2009 08:35 PM

Awesome mod guys. Something interesting. When I got my 99 Boxster it did not display the outside temp. I did not know yet that it was capable of that so didn't bother me. Anyhow, one day, I left my parking lights on for about 10 hours. Obviously the car did not want to start so I got a buddy to give me a jump.
As I was driving back home, I noticed that the outside temp was now displaying.

Weird huh? Anybody have an explanation to that?

Regards,
Fred Larracuente
Guaynabo, PR USA

oneleggedman125 10-29-2009 08:17 AM

In my '97 it doesn't display the outside temp, but that would be pretty sweet. Thanks for all the good guides on how to hack it. I just may look into it, if I can rack up the nerve to open the Porsche up. (it will be my first time with any Porsche).

Any good tips I should know before I take the plunge?