986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   DIY Project Guides (http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/)
-   -   TrafficPro GPS Installation DIY (http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/16278-trafficpro-gps-installation-diy.html)

wweirich 04-12-2008 07:35 AM

TrafficPro GPS Installation DIY

I have an '01 986-S which has the stock CD220 in it, with the Rear Speakers AND the factory External Amp option. Picked up a TrafficPro (Becker) from EBay and was wondering if there is a good DIY Guide posted anywhere on this instllation, including the GPS Antennae, wiring mods, etc. Looks pretty straight foward, but nowhere is a unified guide on this. I have the 9X6 DVD set, and nothing there either. Advice? Thanks in advance, and my appologies to all of you experienced guys/gals if this has been covered extensivly elsehwere and i've missed it. :eek:

blinkwatt 04-12-2008 08:26 AM

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2332&hl=\traffic+pro\

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6003&hl=\traffic+pro\

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9060&hl=traffic+pro

ut_cougar 04-12-2008 12:17 PM

Hi, I was thinking about buying the same traffic pro off eBay...is this a direct swap? easy? i had no idea the traffic pro has any other features other than the navigation? I have a CDR-220 with amp, anyone know if i can easily switch them out? and does anyone know the features of the traffic pro? does it have a CD player? radio? anything else like ipod connection like the CDR-220 has? does it require just plugging the factory harnesses and a jump wire and thats it? does it have speaker-outs? I was going to add rear speakers to my CDR-220 and keep the door and dash speakers running off the amp, so if i can keep the dash and door speakers running off the amp and add the rears to the Traffic Pro that would be awesome. i'm lost if you can't tell so if anyone has this info then hollar at me. thanks guys.

ut_cougar 04-12-2008 02:02 PM

one thing i wanted to add to my post below...where do you get the software for this? updated software for east and west USA? will the one on eBay for $300 bucks work in the USA? all i see if europe maps online.

wweirich 04-12-2008 03:53 PM

Traffic Pro - Software

The unit arrived at the residence, yesterday. It came, new, with a CD set for the USA. Europe was not included, and it is branded Porsche. No antennae. No installation instructions. I did not expect either to be included. Now, we need to buy the GPS antenna, removal keys - both quoted by Becker USA - and get to work. Sure would have been nice if this was included in the DVD Set (9X6 Werks II). Looked last night - its not there. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr :cheers: wmweirich@hotmail.com

davej_anderson 04-14-2008 06:16 AM

There is a Porsche technical bulletin here running you through exactly how to retrofit a traffic pro. You need to make a small contribution to the site to gain access

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?autocom=downloads&req=download&code=conf irm_download&id=488

Its a direct swap.

Google it and you will find the specs

blinkwatt 04-14-2008 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wweirich
The unit arrived at the residence, yesterday. It came, new, with a CD set for the USA. Europe was not included, and it is branded Porsche. No antennae. No installation instructions. I did not expect either to be included. Now, we need to buy the GPS antenna, removal keys - both quoted by Becker USA - and get to work. Sure would have been nice if this was included in the DVD Set (9X6 Werks II). Looked last night - its not there. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr :cheers: wmweirich@hotmail.com

How much for the antenna from Becker. I called Sunset and they wanted $95 for it.

wweirich 04-14-2008 11:28 AM

HK TrafficPro Antenna Quote - Becker

They quoted, Harmon/Becker - TrafficPro GPS Antenna P/No. 1732.961 ==> $59.68 + shipping.

Ref:
HARMAN/BECKER
AUTOMOTIVE
Robert Birchenough
650 East Crescent Ave
Upper Saddle River NJ 07458
201 961-1309 FAX 201 786-2810
QCP-U

wweirich 04-26-2008 07:05 PM

GPS Antenna Cover Removal - Problem

The IR Cover - won't unsnap, with the simple pinch of the two fron edges - as described in other sections. We tried warming it in the sun, and still - no/go. I've even attempted a flat screwdriver wrapped with some PVC electrical tape.

What gives? What am I missing? The car is an 2001, but its not seen a lot of sunlight/heat/againg (only 49.000 mi)., and has little aging in the interior.

What are the secrets to this step? Its critical. No antenna, no GPS. Duh..... :dance:

Tool Pants 04-27-2008 10:47 AM

Been a long time. Seem to remember that you also have to pull it towards you to unclip the front of it.

wweirich 04-28-2008 08:00 AM

Cover Still Will Not Unsnap / Budge

We tried this w/e - per your GREAT photo! Thank you for that!! I must be challenged mentally, but It won't budge - can't pinch and slide it, either way - forward or reverse. I am afraid to use a hard part on it - for fear of marring the surfaces surround the piece. Break the piece, and I am sure ?? it can be replaced, but that is low on the "acceptable" approach scale, obviously. Warming the dash in the sun - a good long while, did not mitigate this. So, I have concluded, I am missing something – on the basic level.

Traffic Pro screen went tits up too - brand new unit (2001 vintage) from EBay; one of those 299 units.

Q2: What connector needs to be connected to get the speed sensitive volume control (faster = louder) to work? I didn’t' see that in the TSB.

Comment: I spliced the two connections to activate the remote amplifier - so that it would switch on, and I got a high pitched tone - low level - thought the speakers. When removed, and left to be as originally found, the Amp turned on correctly, and no tone. Perhaps the Amp up front is NOT O.E.M., I do not know - but that well documented “jumper" was not needed in this case.

Tool Pants 04-28-2008 08:21 AM

Guess you need to pull harder.

We remove that part when replacing trim pieces and when installing TrafficPros. Always comes out. If the part is covered in leather then it is a bit harder to remove due to the extra thickness of the leather.

davej_anderson 04-29-2008 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wweirich

Q2: What connector needs to be connected to get the speed sensitive volume control (faster = louder) to work? I didn’t' see that in the TSB.

the speed signal is pin position A1 but that should be pre-wired for the standard becker head unit

wweirich 04-29-2008 10:05 AM

YES - prewired it is. I only had to adjust the GAT (? memory there... sorry) setting on the TrafficPro itself - required a little reading, a button held down - to access the settings.

So far - so good.

Still can NOT get the plastic IR cover up. I'm going to take it to the dealer, when I get extra key's cut and heads programmed for the remote, and have them do it - or show me. Enough already... as they say back in N.J.

Thanks to you all for your help. Great Board!

Regards,
Murphy