Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
JCA

Drive belt slips off

Help...so decided to remove the serpentine drive belt to inspect and noticed no cracks what so ever, now that I put it back on and turn on the car, the belt slips off the steering wheel pump and don't know why. See pics 1 and 2. All I did was to remove to inspect. All was fine prior. Tried and tried so many times always following the routing sequence and making sure the belt was properly seated all around. Even tried a new belt that I had purchased from Pelican. One thing I noticed though is that the power steering pump is not aligned and sticks out a little further out then the a/c compressor which may explain the slippage. See pic 3. Not sure why when all I did was remove the belt for inspection. There is no play on the pulleys and pumps and have no clue on how to realign . Anyone have any ideas?

Top view of the power steering pump and a/c compressor

Boxster S 2004

JCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:00 PM   #2

Bearings in your water pump are going bad, causing the pulley to be out of alignment.
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:46 AM   #3
JCA

May I ask how a bad water pump is causing the power steering pump and a/c compressor to get out of alignment?
JCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:28 AM   #4

Im pretty sure its the water pump pulley that is out of alignment.
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:46 PM   #5

Picture #1,
I think the serpentine belt goes in between the 2 lower pulley then back up as you have it !
Nerver mind: http://www.2carpros.com/diagrams/porsche/boxster/2004

Last edited by Store69; 05-28-2013 at 05:51 PM. Reason: correct set up.
Store69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #6

Well, my first thought was maybe you put the old belt on backward (i.e. opposite the original rotation) and that might account for it falling off, but you said you also tried a new belt so it couldn't be that. The old belt could have a bias as it streched and wore, but not a new one.

You did check to make sure all of the v groves match on the belts and piullys I assume. I'm sure you did, but jus tthought to mention it. Other than that, perhaps it is no longer aligned or the bolts have started to vibrate loose. If that is the case, here's athread that expalins (basically) how to remove and repalce the power steering pump. Maybe this will give you an idea on how to check the attachment bolts and see if that is a problem or not.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/29323-power-steering-pump-removal-installation.html