986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   DIY Project Guides (http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/)
-   -   painted bumperettes? (http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/13108-painted-bumperettes.html)

rgriffin 09-09-2007 06:16 PM

painted bumperettes?

Anybody know how to paint the bumperettes? What kind of paint, where to buy paint, and prep. Any info would be great.
Thanks!

djomlas 09-16-2007 07:19 PM

go to paintscratch.com and order some paint and clearcoat
then sand down the bumperettes and paint as you would anything else.

blinkwatt 09-16-2007 07:59 PM

Unless your 100% sure you know what your doing take them to a shop. Bumperettes run for about $150 a set,if you mess them up theres no going back.

I paid a shop $150 for the first set and $75 for the 2nd set. Just tell your shop to sand them down and you want a flush finish to match the car.

rebeltown 09-16-2007 08:56 PM

I used the paintscratch.com kit with the flex primer and they came out great... And I am no master at painting. There is enough there to repaint many times should you mess up.

rgriffin 09-16-2007 10:08 PM

Thanks!

Thank you all so much for all your input!

Richard Griffin

bmussatti 09-17-2007 02:30 AM

Richard, you could also consider doing a "core" swap and get them from www.bumperplugs.com. Eric's work is excellent, and you could be done before the weekend starts.

pompous 09-17-2007 12:46 PM

...or you could go to advance match or color, buy some primer and do it up just fine for under $10 that way. That's what I did and they look perfect. Just take your time. Painting is not rocket science. Surprisingly this is the only pic I have of the back of my car. Guess i'm not proud of not deambering that part yet lol. Anyway, here's a shot of my bumperettes...

Boxter 09-17-2007 04:00 PM

Oddly enough I recently had some work done on my car and asked the body shop to paint them and they flat out refused...Stating that the rubber flexes too much.

pompous 09-17-2007 06:13 PM

I can see where they are coming from. None-the less, mine have been painted for about a year now with no problems.

rgriffin 09-17-2007 07:22 PM

Pompous- Where did you get the primer and paint from? I looked up advance match and color but couldn't find anything. Doing it myself sounds great, and the pix of your car look great.

Richard Griffin

mikefocke 09-18-2007 03:17 AM

Eric at Bumperplugs

Unless you know what you are doing around a paint can. He knows how to make the paint as flexible as it can be and does multiple coats so the match is perfect.

pompous 09-18-2007 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgriffin
Pompous- Where did you get the primer and paint from? I looked up advance match and color but couldn't find anything. Doing it myself sounds great, and the pix of your car look great.

Richard Griffin

Thankyou
To clarify, advance auto parts store has "dupli color" or "dupli match" or something like paint to match cars. That's where I bought the primer and paint. As far as sanding...I washed and sanded minimally. Wasn't necessary. Don't forget to clearcoat over top of that also. I've had them painted for a year and no problems at all. They look like they came on the car that way and im by no means a professional painter...far from it. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Boxter 09-18-2007 07:13 AM

Thanks for the follow up on this...
I think this will now be my next mod.

blue2000s 09-18-2007 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxter
Oddly enough I recently had some work done on my car and asked the body shop to paint them and they flat out refused...Stating that the rubber flexes too much.

Huh? Do they paint bumpers? Maybe they didn't realize it's the same material, not a rubber.

blinkwatt 09-18-2007 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue2000s
Huh? Do they paint bumpers? Maybe they didn't realize it's the same material, not a rubber.

I think he was referring to the rubber bumperettes.

Those are rubber.

My shop that I had paint mine warned me that if I bump into anything don't be shocked if the paint cracks. They painted them,came out perfect,it's up to me not to back into anything.

jwilson95 11-17-2007 11:47 AM

Pompous/All-

I wonder if the Advance paint match system can do metallic paints or if they can only do the basic colors like Guards Red on your car?

Thanks,

djomlas 11-17-2007 12:44 PM

i will be painting mine sometimes soon, so ill document everything and post it up.

jwilson95 11-18-2007 06:58 AM

DJ-

you gonna go with paintscratch.com or something else?

JMW

djomlas 11-18-2007 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwilson95
DJ-

you gonna go with paintscratch.com or something else?

JMW

yup, that will be it.
im still yet to order the paint :)

porsche986spyder 11-19-2007 08:07 AM

I did mine myself and did a do-it-yourself on here a few months ago. If you do a search on the forum I'm sure you will find it. :cheers: