Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2007, 02:59 AM   #1

Arctic silver console

Hi guys,

Finally finished the Arctic silver console and door flap painting and it looks superb. I took it all out, gave it to a mate who is a spray painter and he painted the lot in 2pac with a coat of clear on the top (cost $50). It's very durable and I doubt it will scratch at all. It has transformed the interior of the car and really matches the 911 gearstick and steering wheel which are both black and silver.

PS If you are going to go to the effort of taking the interior out and painting it, I recommend getting it painted by a professional instead of using a spray can.

kouks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:07 AM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Nice. Looks like my interior...

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:10 PM   #3

Looks great! I'd like to do this as well.... did you need to remove your padded armrest/console lid when you had it painted?

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:22 PM   #4
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudanova
Looks great! I'd like to do this as well.... did you need to remove your padded armrest/console lid when you had it painted?
You do have to have the padded armrest/console lid off when it is painted.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
You do have to have the padded armrest/console lid off when it is painted.
Do you have to get a new reinstallation kit? I heard from someone that it uses a different type of "screws", and requires a retrofit kit from the dealer to reinstall it that needs redrilling to adapt the hinges again. Is this true, or do you simply unscrew the mounting hinges, and then rescrew them?

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:13 PM   #6
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudanova
Do you have to get a new reinstallation kit? I heard from someone that it uses a different type of "screws", and requires a retrofit kit from the dealer to reinstall it that needs redrilling to adapt the hinges again. Is this true, or do you simply unscrew the mounting hinges, and then rescrew them?
It depends what version of the console you have in your car right now. If you have the one with the older hinge setup (Porsche updated the hinge because it would break easily) and are replacing it with a new console, you can buy a retrofit hinge repair kit from the dealer. Installation of this is not hard, you just need to use a pop rivet gun to install the hinge kit.

When installing my painted console, a friend of mine realized that I did need the hinge kit, and luckily for me, he had bought an extra one from the dealer when he installed his painted console, so he let me use it. Mine is an 01, so if your car is older than an 01, you will probably need the hinge kit.

However, if you are simply removing your current console, having it painted, and then reinstalling the same console, then you won't need the hinge kit.

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 07-30-2007 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:25 PM   #7

My car is a 00. I had to dismantle the armrest to get it off the console. Was a bit of a pain causes there's about 100 million screws holding it on there. It all went back together though without needing any new parts.

Boxtaboy, think I might do the dials as well, yours look good

kouks is offline   Reply With Quote