986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   DIY Project Guides (http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/)
-   -   How to replace fuel cap emerg cable? (http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/10273-how-replace-fuel-cap-emerg-cable.html)

clickman 03-25-2007 04:27 PM

How to replace fuel cap emerg cable?

I managed to bust off the little plastic emergency cable for the fuel filler door release that you access from the front of the passenger door. :o

(Did I say it was little? It's like no thicker than a human hair! Come on Porsche! :mad: )

Anyhow, the free version of the workshop manual I found on the net doesn't make any sense (as usual). It talks about accessing it as part of removing the fender :eek: .

I took off the wheelwell liner (see attached photo), and it looks impossible to get at from there.

Has anyone out there replaced this 10c part?

thx Norm

clickman 03-31-2007 10:44 AM

Come on, you Boxster brains out there! What's the answer? :confused:

10/10ths 09-09-2015 05:38 PM

Bueller?

Anybody know how to do this?

clickman 09-24-2015 12:38 PM

It was a long time ago that I did this, but I found some old notes:

Take off the wheel and take out the wheel lining. Then look up in the wheel well and see the black plastic carbon canister with the hoses connected to it. The canister has to come out to allow access.

In addition to the hoses connected to it and one silver nut, it's just held in place with a compression fitting with two plastic prongs that go into two rubber grommets behind it. You just have to give the carbon canister a good tug. I was afraid I'd break something but you won't ... the rubber grommets are fairly tight, but a good tug and the canister comes straight out. Make sure you disconnect the various hoses and lines.

The only challenging part is getting to the two Torx screws that hold the fuel door lock actuator in place. They're at a 90 degree angle up at the top of the wheel well and you only have about 1-1.5 inches of clearance. I used a short #20 Torx fitting (the short one that goes into a screw driver head) and a box end wrench to unscrew the two screws. You might be able to do this with a 90 degree #20 Torx configured like an allen wrench. You DONT have to unscrew them all the way. They actually only have to be backed out a turn or so to release the U shaped fittings....and the actuator will drop down.

Make sure you feed the black emergency cable and ring thru the slot in the passenger's door frame...otherwise it will hang up the actuator when you try to drop it down. Look in the door frame with a flashlight, and you'll see how the ring can be turned and stuffed back thru the slot.

Don't lose the black plastic cap that feeds the actuator shaft thru the opening in the fuel door recess. It looks like a little round hat with a hole in it. It's used to line up the shaft so it hits the hole in the lock, and the shaft protrudes thru it when you lock the car.

Topless 09-24-2015 01:00 PM

My solution was to open the fill door, go around to the drivers door and insert the key to engage the fill door lock. Now with the plastic locking tab sticking out I just snipped it off with a pair of dikes. Locking fill door problem solved forever.

It annoyed me so I made it obsolete. :)

JayG 09-24-2015 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topless (Post 467463)
My solution was to open the fill door, go around to the drivers door and insert the key to engage the fill door lock. Now with the plastic locking tab sticking out I just snipped it off with a pair of dikes. Locking fill door problem solved forever.

It annoyed me so I made it obsolete. :)

That works

No one is out stealing gas anymore

lkchris 09-24-2015 02:53 PM

It's protection from vandals pouring something into your tank, too.

mgfranz 05-09-2020 03:04 PM

What a pain in the ass! If I ever break this cable again, I'm cutting the lock and getting a locking cap.
The things we do to keep our cars original...