Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Porsche Cayman Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
lovely09

boxster or cayman

My family is planning to buy a new car next month.My two sister,one brother and i will contribute with the payment of this car.We are having two options between a boxster or cayman range,i just want to hear others opinion who own both cars.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:01 PM   #2

They are both great cars. You cannot go wrong with either.

Only one question for me. Do you want to be able to put the top down?
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:31 PM   #3

What kind of weather will you be driving in? If you expect to have to use it often in the rain, I'd go with the Cayman. How safe is the neighborhood? It's easy to slit the Boxster canvas top and steal things.

If I lived anywhere other than San Diego, I would have probably gone with a Cayman. However, the weather here is as ideal as can be for a convertible, it's always garaged, and I never have to drive it in the rain.

The cars are arguably equivalent in all regards except whether or not the top comes down - so you need to determine whether the convertible top is an asset or a liability and decide accordingly.

At the risk of making a gross chauvinistic generalization, women love convertibles. So the sisters who will be contributing toward the payments will be happy, and the brother(s) might also find the allure of a fine German convertible to be an asset.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:06 PM   #4
Ike

Thumbs up Pure Sportscars

Hey Folks,

I am a huge fan of the Boxster S, and I have dumped a bunch of coin into mine, developing an entry level "Supercar"......0->60 mph well under 5.0 sec.

That being said, I was able to test drive a '08 Cayman S on some challenging roads and I have to say that the raw potential of the car put it in the "Beast" category. I personally would place it a nose ahead of the GT3, which I test drove on the same roads.....better balance.

Bottom line, the Cayman S is a stiffer platform than the Boxster S.......but that is because the top does not retract.

I am sure you will enjoy either!

Happy Trails,
Ike

Last edited by Ike; 08-18-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:34 PM   #5

Garage
IMO hands down --- Cayman S w/PCCB, PASM, Sport Chrono Plus (4.6 sec to 60), Limited Slip, Sport Exhaust, and PDK = Perfect Sports Car and my dream config

'06 Cayman 'S' - Sold (Sport Chrono, PASM, TPMS, 19' CAS Wheels, NAV)
'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold
tboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:25 PM   #6

Hello

Hey man i like the cayman its beautiful man,,,,,,
Old 09-12-2009, 06:51 AM   #7

Manila is hot and humid most of the year. Go for the Cayman, but be sure to pay for an S. You'll appreciate the extra power.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #8

Garage
Buy a convertible Cayman. best of both worlds!!! Hahaha jk jk. If you care if you put the top down or not, buy a cayman. IMO they're way better cars, but I love drop tops :P
Mrmaddbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely09 View Post
My family is planning to buy a new car next month.My two sister,one brother and i will contribute with the payment of this car.We are having two options between a boxster or cayman range,i just want to hear others opinion who own both cars.

we have the same question.anyone please?
innoweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #10

Garage
All we are trying to say is that they are basically the same car!! If you like convertibles get the boxster, if you don't care then get a cayman... But they both have their ups and downs. If you plan on racing, get a cayman. If you dont, then buy a boxster if you like convertibles... Enough said.

Its your choice man. Good luck, you'll be happy with whatever you get.... Then you have to choose a color :P
Mrmaddbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #11

Wow .. 4 siblings, 1 toy .. hopefully you guys learned to share when you were little.

I cant imagine this scenario playing out nicely in my family. LOL
vijen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:07 PM   #12

My lady has Boxster but I would rather have the Cayman simply because I hate rag-top. I would never buy a convertible with rag-top, it's just ugly.
Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmaddbrad View Post
Buy a convertible Cayman. best of both worlds!!! Hahaha jk jk. If you care if you put the top down or not, buy a cayman. IMO they're way better cars, but I love drop tops :P
👇

JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 05:31 AM   #14

Garage
I like to take the top down during Spring, Summer, Fall and enjoy the drive--Boxster
Old 12-21-2017, 09:45 PM   #15
Damn Yankee

Garage
I drive both a Boxster and a Cayman on a regular basis. I always thought that the Cayman was just a Boxster with a permanent "tintop". Nothing could be further from the truth.

The Cayman is more refined, but not as refined as a 911; just more comfortable than a Boxster. The biggest difference, IMHO, is that the Cayman has more mechanical grip and more precise steering than the Boxster, which makes a big difference when carving through the twisties.

But for sheer, unadulterated, kinisthetic, visceral driving experience, I prefer the Boxster. Even though it may be ultimately slower than the Cayman, it delivers on the emotional scale.

Just sayin'.........

TO

TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote