Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxsters and Cayman Cars for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2022, 09:12 PM   #1

1998 Boxster 5-spd, M030, IMS/RMS done

1998 Boxster 5-spd, M030, IMS/RMS done

• Ocean Blue Metallic with Graphite Gray interior
  • 211K miles on chassis, 173K miles on engine (engine was replaced under warranty by Porsche at 37,924 miles).
  • Newer top with glass window.
  • Always a Northern California car with a very complete service history dating back to Sept. 1999.
  • Never smoked in
  • Clean, clear California title in hand; registration paid through April 2023
  • Comes with 2 keys, complete manuals, tool roll, collapsible spare tire, jack, service records since ~39K miles and original window sticker (I geek out over having the original window sticker for my cars).

Price: $6,986

Background

I am the third owner; the first owner special ordered the car through Carlsen Porsche in 1998, and owned it until 2017 when they moved out of the country and sold it to their Porsche mechanic. I bought it from the same mechanic, who also services my Porsche, in 2017, with 178K miles on the chassis. I have been a Porsche owner for about 20 years and find that with timely and proper maintenance, these cars are not only highly reliable but continue to give excellent performance.

This car presents optically and mechanically significantly better than its age and mileage might suggest. I am selling because I am now an empty-nester planning to downsize and have to pare back my collection of toys to make that happen.

I searched for quite a while to find a manual, M030-equipped, unmolested Boxster in a color combination I liked; high-mileage cars did not scare me, as long as they were accompanied by a complete maintenance history. I want this car to go to a good home.

Principals only please - I DO NOT need help selling my car.

Notable Options
  • The M030 Tech Sport Package, which includes larger front and rear anti-roll bars, lowering springs and matching shocks, and the 996 Carrera 2 17” wheels (7” fronts, 8.5” rear), which AFAIK are the lightest 17” wheels offered by the factory for a road car, excepting the uber-rare Cup 1 Magnesium wheels
  • All leather seats
  • Hi-Fi-Sound with CDR 210 radio
  • Aluminum Shifter and Brake Handle, which are Exclusive Options, and to the best of my knowledge are NLA new from Porsche

Maintenance History
Given the car’s age and mileage and both the prior owner’s and my bias toward preventative rather than reactive maintenance, many of the common wear items (AOS, coolant tank, water pump, clutch, shocks) have been replaced, with factory OEM parts. Rather than give an exhaustive list, key items are listed below in reverse chronological order; the service records which will accompany the car give a detailed accounting of all maintenance work performed.

Oil and filter changes have been performed regularly with 5K - 5.5K miles between services, using Mobil 1. Brake fluid flushes have been performed annually using ATE Typ 200.

Camshaft deviation has been regularly measured, and shows excellent values (-3 deg for both camshafts as of June 2022)
  • [209K - May 2022] New tires (Michelin Pilot Sport 4 All Season)
  • [209K - May 2022] New ATE brake pads and sensors on all 4 corners
  • [204K - Jan 2022] New clock spring
  • [202K - Nov 2021] New driver’s side radiator (included complete coolant flush)
  • [198K - Mar 2020] New Bosch O2 sensors
  • [191K - May 2019] New front lower control arms
  • [190K - Mar 2019] New rear shocks
  • [182K - June 2018] New clutch, IMS and RMS. Original IMS was in perfect condition and only replaced (with LN Engineering IMS bearing) because the clutch was already out for replacement. IMS bearing replacement can be verified on LN’s website
  • [182K - June 2018] New transmission mounts
  • [182K - June 2018] Transaxle fluid change (Redline 75W90)
  • [182K - June 2018] New Bosch spark plugs (including sleeves) and drive belt
  • [179K - July 2017] New OEM headlights (old ones suffered from burn marks on interior, which was not uncommon on the early models)
  • [179K - July 2017] New passenger side window regulator
  • [170K - Jan 2017] New top with glass window installed by Finish Line Auto Interiors (San Jose)
  • [158K - June 2012] New AOS
  • [158K - June 2012] New ignition switch
  • [150K - Nov 2011] New water pump
  • [150K - Nov 2011] New coolant tank
  • [134K - Oct 2010] New passenger side radiator
  • [106K - May 2008] New heater core

Upgrades
I have generally been very happy with how Porsche builds and equips cars. This car only has 2 easily reversible upgrades, both performed during my ownership.
  • Dansk Sport exhaust which adds a nice, throaty note, without any drone
  • OEM 997 shifter which shortens shift throws noticeably

Flaws
Given the age and mileage some flaws exist, maintenance notwithstanding.
  • Remote lock/unlock does not work on either key
  • Palm-sized fading in the clear coat on the clamshell
  • ~1” long crack on left of rear bumper
  • Some LED segments on the temperature display of the Climate Control no longer illuminate; Climate control is fully functional
  • Some wear on the upper left driver’s side seat bolster, fixed with adhesive-backed leather in matching color
  • Hinges on center console compartment have been replaced but open/close is not as smooth as new
  • Some squeaks and rattles in the interior of the car, commensurate with age and miles

Don’ts
  • Not interested in trades
  • I do not need help selling the car

More Info
Contact
Text or email gets the fastest response, although I do check PMs
  • 6 oh 5 dash 2 sixtynine dash AIGHT 55 five
  • boxster986_1998@outlook.com

Thanks for looking

Last edited by hockenheim; 07-22-2022 at 09:43 PM.
hockenheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 09:15 PM   #2

More pictures

Many more pictures are available here

Old 07-22-2022, 09:17 PM   #3

Old 07-24-2022, 02:36 PM   #4

Beautiful car, great color combo and options. Glad to read about a high mileage 986 and it seems ready for another 200k. If you weren't on the opposite coast I would be taking a look myself. GLWS
986andmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 04:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986andmx5 View Post
Beautiful car, great color combo and options. Glad to read about a high mileage 986 and it seems ready for another 200k. If you weren't on the opposite coast I would be taking a look myself. GLWS
Thanks for the kind words. I just added pictures of the underside to the Flickr album
Old 07-28-2022, 12:05 PM   #6

Videos on Vimeo

I uploaded a couple of videos to Vimeo

Old 08-05-2022, 09:40 AM   #7

Uploaded a video of the self-check sequence and the radio working

Old 08-05-2022, 03:33 PM   #8

Power-on Self-check and drive-off video