Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxsters and Cayman Cars for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2020, 05:26 PM   #1

For Sale: 2004 Carmon Red Boxster

Well guys, it's time.

I am the original owner of a manual transmission 2004 carmon red metallic Boxster base. I purchased it from Holbert's Porsche in February of 2004. For those who may be interested, Bob Holbert was a Porsche race car driver in the 1960s and later one of the first Porsche dealers in the US.

In the 16 years I have owned her, I have clocked a total of 35,600 miles. In fact, I've driven her approximately just 250 miles in the last 5 years, and never in inclement weather or during Winter. She is literally a garage queen as I only take her out a few times a year. She is on a tender from October to mid May yearly.

Over the years I have made a number of relatively minor adjustments and was quite surprised that, other than the headlights, I could do most of them myself:

- Replaced standard headlights for litronic self-leveling lamps
- Replaced amber side markers for clears
- Replaced black rear bumperettes for vehicle-colored ones
- Installed B & M short shifter
- Installed manual raise/lower spoiler switch
- Replaced center console for vehicle-colored one, ashtray delete
- Replaced ignition rosette for vehicle-colored one
- Placed '986' emblem on batwing
- installed speakers in compartment behind seat to give radio a fuller sound
- Debadged and then rebadged trunk
- Replaced standard black valve sleeves for silver-colored ones with colored Porsche Crest
- New battery September 2020

My vehicle came with the PCM, OBC, 4-stalks, navigation, heated leather seats, cruise control, power driver and passenger seats, rear deflector, and Porsche emblem wheel crests.

I ordered the hard top through the dealer as I didn't want to have to futz around trying to find one in my color later. The hard top connects to the vehicle's systems to allow defrosting of the back window. The soft top back window is glass. Because I have the hard top on most of the time, the soft top is rarely used but I just tested it and it is in perfect condition and fully functional.

The car is lovely and drives like a dream. I've never had food or beverages inside, nor has anyone smoked in her. Other than paint chips on the bonnet and front bumper, she is in excellent shape, is as clean as a whistle, and still has that new car smell. Viewing her from the front, she is indistinguishable from an early 996 911 (although I don't know if that is a good thing to point out. Ha!) The reason I am parting with her is I really don't drive her anymore and I need the garage space.

The last professional detail was done on September 13, 2020

I am in central New Jersey (Burlington County)

The Carfax is clean on this vehicle, and can be provided upon request. I also have complete service records.

I am asking $16,500 (negotiable)

Attached Images

Last edited by Allen; 10-27-2020 at 03:55 PM.
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:23 AM   #2

Is there any interest in my Boxster? She's in great condition. Or tell me what doesn't appeal to you.
Old 10-24-2020, 06:24 AM   #3

That is a really nice example that should make someone very happy!
Having said that, the number of buyers looking for a base and willing to spend that much is going to be limited, so it may take a while for the right person to find it.
Every buyer has their own little treasure chest of things that bother or concern them about a potential purchase, so it is hard to speak broadly. Some may worry about being stuck with an out of date nav system. Others will worry about low miles in a single row IMS bearing that has not been updated. Some may want the full functionaliry of factory installed litronics. Maybe some view their first Porsche as an aspirational car and only want it in a "serious" (boring) color. Who knows in any given case, but your car provides a pretty limited number of things for a buyer to get "hung up" on.
But heck, any well informed buyer should know that your car looks like a very nice example, and that to bring a lesser example up to the standard of yours is going to basically make up the price difference (or more) + add a lot of hassle.
So if you can, be patient. Perhaps cast a broader net, ie PCA news add or even Bring A Trailer.
BOL
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:13 AM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
BrokenLinkage summed it up perfectly. Beautiful car and on value to the right buyer. The problem is that the right buyer is a very limited quantity. PCA Classifieds would be good for a targeted audience. BAT with a suitable reserve if you want to make the sale within a given time frame.
Old 10-24-2020, 04:49 PM   #5

Garage
Beautiful car! Love the hard top and the OEM Nav. I second the Bring a Trailer option. I have no doubt there will be a lot of griping about the IMS, but with the right reserve, I think you will find a buyer. The car will present well and as a base 5-speed owner, I have been pretty surprised by the prices. Not many one owner Boxsters come up which is definitely going to a plus point and stimulate some interest.

Good luck!

Paul.
PaulMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:04 PM   #6
2007 Cayman S

Boxster

It will sell easily on BaT and I think for top dollar. Since late spring, there has been a constant stream of Boxster’s on Bat all of which have done very well. Seven days and it’s over! Good luck.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:35 PM   #7

You also need to consider the time of yr. Most people are not looking for convertibles in the fall with winter fast approaching. That cuts down your potential customers. Early spring is the time to maximize the # of potential customers. In a "normal" yr, sports cars and convertibles in particular become more difficult to sell after the 4th of July. But 2020 has be anything but normal, so everything can be thrown out the window when it comes to rules.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 05:58 AM   #8

SOLD!

And I got my asking price of $16,500! Buyer was very impressed with the condition of the vehicle, and didn't ding me for the lack of the IMS bearing replacement.

Maybe this means that 986s have hit their floor and are starting to appreciate again. Who knows, but I'm a happy camper.

Thanks for all your suggestions.
Old 11-02-2020, 07:00 AM   #9
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
SOLD!

And I got my asking price of $16,500! Buyer was very impressed with the condition of the vehicle, and didn't ding me for the lack of the IMS bearing replacement.

Maybe this means that 986s have hit their floor and are starting to appreciate again. Who knows, but I'm a happy camper.

Thanks for all your suggestions.
Congratulations! I'm glad 100% you got your asking price. Question: Do you believe you could have asked, and gotten more $$?

Old 11-02-2020, 10:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Congratulations! I'm glad 100% you got your asking price. Question: Do you believe you could have asked, and gotten more $$?

Yes, I actually do. I was kicking myself a little after the sale because it was so easy, too easy.
Old 11-08-2020, 03:22 AM   #11

Now for sale for ~18 at a dealer
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/828177798/overview/?aff=atempest&cmp=atempest&utm_source=AutoTempest&utm_medium=TRP&utm_campaign=atempest

I thought $16.5 was about right.

Allegro is offline   Reply With Quote