Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxsters and Cayman Cars for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2019, 04:53 PM   #1

Wtb: cheap boxster in Northeast Pa area

Looking to buy asap. Had a lead on one that the seller flaked. Must be 5spd. Would prefer it to run so i could drive it home but thats not a deal breaker. Would like something relatively clean looking so my wife doesn’t complain i brought home another piece of junk. Working on a $4k budget. Would love to road trip tomorrow and grab something. Text or call 303-870-8963

Ryan

To be clear: im looking for a basketcase cheap boxster running or not.
High mileage? No problem
Motor blown? No problem.
Flooded and doesnt run? No problem.
Wrecked and cant tell it used to be a boxster? Problem!
Cant get the damn thing to pass emissions and youve given up? No problem!

Id prefer something with mechanical issues that has decent paint. Parts access is much easier for me vs. paintwork.

There are several $4,000 boxsters online in good running shape. Just a bit too far away. Just putting the feelers out for something closer if i can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Rpetrecz; 02-09-2019 at 08:11 AM.
Rpetrecz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:36 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpetrecz View Post
Looking to buy asap. Had a lead on one that the seller flaked. Must be 5spd. Would prefer it to run so i could drive it home but thats not a deal breaker. Would like something relatively clean looking so my wife doesn’t complain i brought home another piece of junk. Working on a $4k budget. Would love to road trip tomorrow and grab something. Text or call 303-870-8963

Ryan

$4K? Good luck on that. If you haven't read any of the posts upon this forum about buying a "cheap" Porsche, you better move on it.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
$4K? Good luck on that. If you haven't read any of the posts upon this forum about buying a "cheap" Porsche, you better move on it.

Theyre out there. Especially wrecked or blown up.... Im a Porsche tech looking for a track beater. Trust me I know what im getting myself into

Old 02-09-2019, 05:00 AM   #4
Who's askin'?

Quote:

Ryan

Friend, with a $4k budget, you WILL be "bringing home another peice of junk". Haha

If you look long enough, you might find something that looks okay, with a rebuilt title, that probably has all of the warning lights removed in the dash... but runs. Probably for $4k. Maybe.

Then you can immediately throw $4k more into it, (if you DIY) trying to get it to run and drive well enough to not hate it. Let alone whatever emissions test you may need to pass wherever you are.

If I were you, i'd bump that working budget to at least $7k.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Friend, with a $4k budget, you WILL be "bringing home another peice of junk". Haha

If you look long enough, you might find something that looks okay, with a rebuilt title, that probably has all of the warning lights removed in the dash... but runs. Probably for $4k. Maybe.

Then you can immediately throw $4k more into it, (if you DIY) trying to get it to run and drive well enough to not hate it. Let alone whatever emissions test you may need to pass wherever you are.

If I were you, i'd bump that working budget to at least $7k.

I think you missed the comment where im a Porsche tech and have a plethora of parts laying around the shop to make it decent AND im looking to make a track beater not a pristine daily. Thanks for your advice. Ill stick to my original budget.

Old 02-09-2019, 05:22 AM   #6
Who's askin'?

Quote:
I think you missed the comment where im a Porsche tech and have a plethora of parts laying around the shop to make it decent AND im looking to make a track beater not a pristine daily. Thanks for your advice. Ill stick to my original budget.

I did indeed miss that comment, since it wasn't there when I started typing. ;-)

You're right, that makes all the difference.

It's still been a long time since I saw a $4k boxster that wasn't, as you said, a peice of junk. Haha. But that's never stopped me from buying something I wanted, haha. ;-)

Make sure you keep us posted as you build it. There are a couple other budget "track beaters" on this forum.... and they're my favorite threads to follow.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:36 AM   #7
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:

Yeah... missed your comment about having "a plethora of parts laying around", because it wasn't there the first time around.

Clarity, man. Clarity.

Good luck. Post pics.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Yeah... missed your comment about having "a plethora of parts laying around", because it wasn't there the first time around.

Clarity, man. Clarity.

Good luck. Post pics.

I felt i was being clear. Not sure how much clearer cheap beater boxster with issues needs to be. Im sorry but i dont feel the need to post my credentials or parts access during a wanted ad. Though to satisfy the masses ill re word my post a little better.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:48 AM   #9

I just recently sold a 2004 Boxster S for $7500 CAD (about $5650 USD)

It ran great, but had a few relatively minor issues. Needed brake pads, had an oil leak, and low beams werent working on the headlights, roof had to be operated manually. Body was excellent, and the car ran VERY strong!

Had about 150k miles on it, and was an automatic. Below is the listing

2004 Boxster S

Took about a month to sell, and ended up going to a guy about a 20 hour drive away. Lots of tire kickers in the meantime, before sale. Had up to three people contact me a day, with a lot being dreamers and people wanting to trade crap (on a side note.... why does everyone want to trade away their old Harley's ...LOL)

My point is, what OP is asking for is not unreasonable. I am sure their are lots of base boxsters that dont run, that people would be happy to get $4k for.

Anyway, good luck in your search!

Last edited by halo777; 02-09-2019 at 09:51 AM.
halo777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:50 PM   #10
Who's askin'?

Quote:
I felt i was being clear. Not sure how much clearer cheap beater boxster with issues needs to be. Im sorry but i dont feel the need to post my credentials or parts access during a wanted ad. Though to satisfy the masses ill re word my post a little better.

Huh.... but you DID feel the need to poke two people in the eye who were responding to your original post which did NOT include the information.
Sure... don't post your "credentials".... but don't get your panties all twisted up when we chime in that you're looking for trouble unless you know what you're doing and have a ton of parts laying around.

For clarity's sake, since that's what we're asking for: yes.... I do think you were luring us in by not telling us the rest of the story.... which I think is a bit of a dick-move.
To be clear.

Last edited by maytag; 02-09-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:40 PM   #11

I bought my Boxster for $3000. it was in pretty good shape except some cosmetic work.
you can find cheap ones that need a little work
jmitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:21 AM   #12
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:

Yeah, satisfy the masses. Dick.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Yeah, satisfy the masses. Dick.

Ohh chill already. I made a simple post clearly stating what i was after and you two chimed in about how im making a terrible mistake. Now if i would have listed my credentials and parts stock youd still be calling me a dick but just for bragging. I personally dont feel that i needed to add that. Its sunday calm down already and go have a beer.

Me on the other hand I’m going to have a beer and relax while i stare at my newly aquired boxster. Consider it advice taken as i stepped out of my $4k budget and just brought home a running driving 2000 S with a 6spd and sport seats. Kinda ratty but overall a solid car. Even has all 5 systems of readiness.... $4,400 all said and done. If you look hard enough they are out there.

Cheers fellas. Enjoy whats left of your weekend.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:06 PM   #14
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Now if i would have listed my credentials and parts stock youd still be calling me a dick but just for bragging. I personally dont feel that i needed to add that.
Nah.... not true at all.... as evidenced by my second post, where I told you that changes everything, and be sure to keep us posted.... etc etc, blah blah.

please keep us updated on the build. I personally love these builds, and following them. I don't have the luxury right now of building a track-dedicated car.... so I live vicariously through the rest of you who do. ;-)

Last edited by maytag; 02-11-2019 at 05:06 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:55 PM   #15
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Ohh chill already. I made a simple post clearly stating what i was after and you two chimed in about how im making a terrible mistake. Now if i would have listed my credentials and parts stock youd still be calling me a dick but just for bragging. I personally dont feel that i needed to add that. Its sunday calm down already and go have a beer.

Me on the other hand I’m going to have a beer and relax while i stare at my newly aquired boxster. Consider it advice taken as i stepped out of my $4k budget and just brought home a running driving 2000 S with a 6spd and sport seats. Kinda ratty but overall a solid car. Even has all 5 systems of readiness.... $4,400 all said and done. If you look hard enough they are out there.

Cheers fellas. Enjoy whats left of your weekend.

Nice find.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:10 PM   #16

Congrats on the new car, man!
halo777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:26 PM   #17

nice buy, hopefully the mechanicals are in pretty good shape.
jmitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitro View Post
nice buy, hopefully the mechanicals are in pretty good shape.

Mechanicals yes suprisingly. Felt really worn going down the road suspension wise. Threw it on the lift last night and gave it a good going over. Gotta hunt down some more parts in the trailer out back but a few days work and this thing should feel pretty solid. Just a minor list of needs lol

We have the majority of this laying around so its just a matter of finding them then the labor. Some stuff ill just get new but overall what i was expecting to find.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:18 PM   #19
Who's askin'?

Quote:
..... Gotta hunt down some more parts in the trailer out back ......

We have the majority of this laying around so its just a matter of finding them .......
Hey, um.... can I get an address where that trailer is located? I'd like to do a little shopping myself! Haha

Good list! Keep updating! Love this stuff.

Old 06-29-2019, 03:56 AM   #20

Loooooooonnggg overdue update. Ive been totally neglecting making a writeup about the car. Ive fitted some 18” 993 twists with some sticky bridgestones and she has done several track days so far without a hitch. Tons of stupid little electrical problems from a young kid owning it but most have been sorted out. Even got rid of the loose falling out double din and picked up a brand new blaupunkt $12 (gotta love amazon) media unit. Tossed the car on the dyno a few weeks back to see how strong she is. 222 to the rear wheels!

Here’s some updated photos