986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxsters and Cayman Cars for Sale or Wanted (http://986forum.com/forums/boxsters-cayman-cars-sale-wanted/)
-   -   2001 Boxster S in Chicago - $5,899 (http://986forum.com/forums/boxsters-cayman-cars-sale-wanted/73551-2001-boxster-s-chicago-%245-899-a.html)

boxingboxingboxing 10-20-2018 12:25 PM

2001 Boxster S in Chicago - $5,899

Hey all, selling my just-purchased Boxster S. It runs and drives great, but needs work and I'm about to do a cross country move. Normally I do my own work on my cars and bikes, but I just don't have time, so I have to let it go. Here's the info from my ebay listing, https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-Porsche-Boxster-S/153226182750

(check the listing for over 20 photos, INCLUDING paperwork from the mechanic)

For sale is a 2001 Porsche Boxster S, at a special discounted price, because it needs some work. I recently purchased the car from a dealer in Michigan who did not disclose all the car's issues, and I then had a post-purchase inspection done. You can benefit from that by knowing exactly what you're getting. The car runs, drives, and stops just fine, just with a slightly soft brake pedal. The engine feels very healthy and I drove the car from Detroit to Chicago with no problems whatsoever. Here are the details:

- 2001 Porsche Boxster S - 124k miles
- 6 speed manual transmission
- GT3 steering wheel (really, really nice)
- 911 gauges with carbon fiber surround, other carbon fiber pieces all over the interior, see photos
- De-catted (basically straight pipe) exhaust headers and midpipes. Sounds very mean and the car feels pretty quick. The original headers and midpipes are included with the car, as well as a pair of seat covers and a few extra parts and pieces.
- I do not know if the IMS was changed, and I have no service history for the car
- The car needs front brake pads, rear main seal, a water pump and full coolant flush (previous owner put in the wrong coolant), filters, gaskets and seals here and there, front suspension work, possibly/probably an IMS bearing retrofit just to be safe, and few other odds and ends. See the photos for complete rundown from the mechanic. I also spoke with another Porsche shop, Midwest Performance Cars, who felt the IMS could probably wait until the next clutch change. Currently the clutch on the car feels very healthy. I was told the car is leaking oil from the RMS and coolant from the water pump, but I have not personally seen this.

Typically you budget at least $3-$5k for post-purchase maintenance with an older Boxster or 911. VFC Engineering, a well-regarded Porsche independent shop in Chicago, estimates 11k to make the car 100%. That INCLUDES all parts and labor, including the very best IMS solution available, an oil-fed IMS bearing from LN Engineering. You could knock $1,000 off the repair cost just by using LN's regular ceramic IMS bearing. They also weren't sure if the front struts ACTUALLY need to be replaced. Basically, 11k is the highest possible estimate. Do any of your own work and it goes down substantially.

I usually do all my own work on my own cars and bikes, but I've lost my garage space and I'm getting ready to move across the country. If circumstances were different I'd just keep the car and do the work myself. The core is good - healthy motor, solid chassis. I was very surprised the car needed as much work as it does, because overall it drives GREAT and feels strong. You might want to get a second opinion on the mechanical condition of this car, but in full disclosure I am sharing all the information I have.

Keep in mind that any Boxster or 911 of this vintage is going to eat some money, whether you pay 5k or 10k for the car. Keep this in mind as you shop and look at other Porsches. There are even cars going for 12-15k that need a lot of the same things that this one does. Pay much less up front, get some work done (or do it yourself) and be into a rock-solid Porsche Boxster S for a great price overall. I'd do it myself but again, a cross-country move makes it impossible. As the old saying goes, my loss, your gain.

Thanks!