986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxsters and Cayman Cars for Sale or Wanted (http://986forum.com/forums/boxsters-cayman-cars-sale-wanted/)
-   -   Wanted: 97-99 boxster (http://986forum.com/forums/boxsters-cayman-cars-sale-wanted/5910-wanted-97-99-boxster.html)

captnem 04-30-2006 11:49 PM

Wanted: 97-99 boxster

I am looking for a 97-99 boxster. I would like a black or silver exterior, and a black interior. The car must have below 60,000 miles. If any of you guys have one for sale, let me know...Thanks so much!

-Matt

captnem@hotmail.com

Brucelee 05-01-2006 05:47 AM

Mechanically and performance wise, these are the worst Boxsters to buy.

If you have the money, I suggest 2000 and up.

Good luck.

:)

RandallNeighbour 05-01-2006 10:27 AM

Yup, from personal experience I'd say that's quite accurate. Why do you want such an old boxster anyway? Budget constrictions?

98Boxster98 05-01-2006 11:48 AM

Overall, the 97-99 may be the "worst" to buy but I think you have to ask why you want the car. If it's going to be a daily driver and you're going to sink almost every last dollar into the car to get it, then you're better off getting the latest greatest Boxster. On the other hand, if it's going to be a fun car, you enjoy turning a wrench every once in awhile and if something mechanically catastrophic happened where you might be PO'd but could survive it, then there is nothing wrong with looking at '97-'99. Many Boxster owners don't drive more than 5000 miles a year and you can get a pretty nice car for $15k to $20k. Make sure you get a Porsche Pre-Purchase Inspection. I didn't but I recently got a Porsche Post-Purschase Inspection :) and the mechanic thought it looked great for a '98.

The killer defects - porous blocks and slipped sleeves are gone by now unless you it happens to be a garage queen. As I see it, it seems like RMS and intermediate shaft failure is pretty much across all model years (same M96 engine.) I view Boxsters with factory replaced engines as a postive since the remanufactured engines are built to tighter specs.

One good thing about the older Boxster is that a lot is known about common failures and many are repairable by the DIYer; convertible top cables and alignment, air/oil separator, ignition switch, assorted microswitches, clogged drains, motor mounts, airbag light, coolant tank, window regulators, MAF and 02 sensors. A lot of basic maintenance isn't so bad; brakes, cabin and air filters, throttle body cleaning, coolant, radiator cleaning, oil change. The shortcoming of having a plastic rear window is somewhat address by third party glass window top suppliers (one manufacturer says that they are working towards providing a DIY DVD and still not counting out Tool Pants in creating one.)

The early Boxsters have taken most of their depreciation at this point and with the advent of Spec Boxster racing, it may slow it down even more. The early Boxster can be a great hobby car (albeit an expensive one.) With a lower investment into it, you stand a better chance of realizing your daydream of putting a 3.4l engine into it someday (snap - that's my daydream.)

Different strokes for different folks.

986Jim 05-06-2006 07:07 AM

I also have a 99 with no problems. The 00 has a 2.7L engine and 217hp instead of 200hp, whoptie do. If 17hp floats your boat then yes the 00 is better than the 99.. As you can see from my current car selection, my boxster is not my "fast" car. The 17hp can be picked up with intake and exhaust etc.. They are just as reliable as the 2.7L cars are just as fast. I'll bet the differen in the 1/4 mile is around 1/10th of a second which on a 14 second car is about one car length in a 1320ft race.

If HP is really what you want get an RX7 or Supra or DSM they make more power cheaper and much more easily. Any of those car can make 400hp cheaply and reliably (Rx7 is debatable tho hahaha..) or dole out 40-60k for a good 911.

No matter what year you buy it will be a fun car and good value for the money. I wanted a 00 originally because of what people said. I drove both and can't tell the damn difference. Maybe for me, I just can't feel a 17hp difference as I own some other fairly fast rides. I bought the 99 as it was the best deal with a lot of extras from Porsche vs the 00 I looked at.

Good Luck!

Brucelee 05-06-2006 11:29 AM

"They are just as reliable as the 2.7L cars"

I would bet that the service techs at the local Porsche dealer would disagree with you there. At least, mine would.

986Jim 05-07-2006 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucelee
"They are just as reliable as the 2.7L cars"

I would bet that the service techs at the local Porsche dealer would disagree with you there. At least, mine would.

Thats simply because they are older and generally have more miles on them as a whole. If both models were made in the same year they would be the same. Is the 3.2 any more reliable than the 2.7? No it fails at the same rate and from the same things in the same years. So does the 2.5l.

BTW your Mechanic is not a mechanic. He's a Technician. That means he doens't know anything but how to replace parts. Mechanics fix parts and cars, not throw parts at it until the problem goes away.

Thats the difference between the Dealer and a good Porsche Mechanic...
:cheers:

Brucelee 05-07-2006 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 986Jim
Thats simply because they are older and generally have more miles on them as a whole. If both models were made in the same year they would be the same. Is the 3.2 any more reliable than the 2.7? No it fails at the same rate and from the same things in the same years. So does the 2.5l.

BTW your Mechanic is not a mechanic. He's a Technician. That means he doens't know anything but how to replace parts. Mechanics fix parts and cars, not throw parts at it until the problem goes away.

Thats the difference between the Dealer and a good Porsche Mechanic...
:cheers:

Actually, the service techs were responding to my question on failure rates. Since they get to see failures, they are a reasonably good source of information on well, failures.

Moreover, since you don't know these particular service techs, you can't possibly know what they do and don't know about repairing a Porsche, correct? Frankly, they have done right by me over the 30 or so cars they have worked on and I tend to judge a person's competence by their work product.

Regarding the reliability of one engine vs the other, I will say this.

It is ALL anecdotal info we have. Porsche is NEVER going to release failure rates on its products unless forced to (the initial Boxster 2.5 problem was not voluntarily disclosed by Porsche, I can assure you.)

Having said all that, I will stand by my recommendation to steer clear of the 2.5 engine. Since it is the oldest and least powerful engine, why buy this car/engine when you don't have to?

Too many nice boxes out there to fritter away your time with a 2.5 IMHO.

98Boxster98 05-07-2006 10:23 AM

Quote:

Too many nice boxes out there to fritter away your time with a 2.5 IMHO.

I would guess anybody would have trouble selling a 97-99 Boxster on the this forum's classified. Who would have a chance with the moderator's posting that there is no such thing as a good early Boxster?

I guess I'll just have to fritter away time on a long drive today in my not so nice Boxster.

Brucelee 05-07-2006 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 98Boxster98
I would guess anybody would have trouble selling a 97-99 Boxster on the this forum's classified. Who would have a chance with the moderator's posting that there is no such thing as a good early Boxster?

I guess I'll just have to fritter away time on a long drive today in my not so nice Boxster.

Several comments:

1. Don't put words in my mouth, I never said "there is no such that as a good early Boxster!" I simply recommended a later model if the person has the dough. This is simply a guess the risk/reward of owing different years of a Boxster.

2. I AM entitled to my opinion. While it is an informed opinion, it is nonetheless, just an opinion. Any forum member is free to take or leave my advice, as it is offered free of charge, just like this forum.

3. I don't care one way or the other whether folks are able to use our free classified section to sell their used Boxsters. Again, the classifed is offered as a free service, nothing more.

The responsibility to sell their Boxster rests with them, not me.

4. If you would like me to lie and say that I think that all used Boxsters are created equal, well, good luck, I am not.

Sorry, but such is life.

98Boxster98 05-07-2006 02:18 PM

Bruce -

I have no trouble with anyone having an opinion. I don't see anywhere where I make a request to lie. I realize that you own this forum and as such, your role as moderator, can carry more weight. The title of this thread is "Wanted : 97-99 boxster". Right off the bat, your first post is say to get a MY 2000 or newer. Didn't even ask the poster why he wanted the Boxster that he did. Wouldn't it be more fair to say that there is a lot of junk out there, be careful if you're insistent on those model years and get a PPI? I have no disagreement with your anecdotal evidence. I agree that new Boxsters as a whole, are probably better mechanically than the previous versions. I agree that more dough, new car is best route to go. However, that doesn't mean that every early Boxster is flawed and every new one is impeccable. Your neighbor with the 2004 knows that, right? Now, it's probably a battle of semantics but Riot Act (I know it doesn't really exist) can be put down on both our sides. Let's get a drink. :cheers:

Brucelee 05-07-2006 02:54 PM

A nice dark beer would be great!!!!!!!

Thanks!

:dance:

mccarrm 06-20-2006 11:25 AM

'98 Boxster

Saw soooo much stuff floating back and forth, but I didn't see anyone really answer your question.
I have a '98 Blk/Blk in excellent condition, with 50K miles on it.
It has been very well maintained and has a new clutch and brakes. If you would like photos, please let me know and I will be glad to forward.
Best Regards,
Mike
818-415-4236

GunNut 08-23-2006 08:36 AM

If you're still interested

Quote:

Originally Posted by captnem
I am looking for a 97-99 boxster. I would like a black or silver exterior, and a black interior. The car must have below 60,000 miles. If any of you guys have one for sale, let me know...Thanks so much!

-Matt

captnem@hotmail.com

I realize that this is an old posting, but if you are still looking for a Boxster, I have 1999 silver one with the black 'sport' interior. It has 37,000 miles and looks great! I believe you live in Chicago, so with me in Detroit, you can fly one way using Southwest for like 50 bucks and then drive it home. Give me a call at (313) 235-3767 if you are interested.

EPIQTodd 09-03-2006 07:23 AM

Maybe he wants it to build a Spec Boxster, which can ONLY have the 2.5l motor, so '97-'99.

I will be looking for these off and on for as long as we build spec Boxsters at EPIQ so if you have one (under 50k miles), any condition as long as the engine is working perfectly, keep us in mind.

Ghostrider 310 11-15-2006 03:56 PM

Quote:

Several comments:

1. Don't put words in my mouth, I never said "there is no such that as a good early Boxster!" I simply recommended a later model if the person has the dough. This is simply a guess the risk/reward of owing different years of a Boxster.

2. I AM entitled to my opinion. While it is an informed opinion, it is nonetheless, just an opinion. Any forum member is free to take or leave my advice, as it is offered free of charge, just like this forum.

3. I don't care one way or the other whether folks are able to use our free classified section to sell their used Boxsters. Again, the classifed is offered as a free service, nothing more.

The responsibility to sell their Boxster rests with them, not me.

4. If you would like me to lie and say that I think that all used Boxsters are created equal, well, good luck, I am not.

Sorry, but such is life.

That's exactly how it read, it's par for the course though. You and MN think everything you post is GOLD Jerry!!!! For 15 years I had to read about what a POS the 944 was, now I have a Boxster and I'm still reading what a POS it is, you guys are Porsche snobs.

Topless 11-22-2006 06:50 AM

Quote:

Mechanically and performance wise, these are the worst Boxsters to buy.

Gee, I had no Idea I owned such a low performance POS. Here I am just frittering away my time with an older car. I guess those boys in the $75000 987 S models are really going to get a complex now if I manage to outrun some of them again in the cones this weekend with nothing more than a good set up and a little driving skill. :cool:

The fact is a 98 Box that is still in good shape has proven itself over time. Mine is a sweetie and not for sale. Current year to date costs: Maintenance and repairs $1248, Car payments $0. Smiles per mile... countless.

With the money I have saved on this car I think I'll take my wife on a 3 week vacation in China next spring. Nuf said.