Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxsters and Cayman Cars for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2005, 06:07 PM   #1

Selling a 1999 Boxster Cheap!

Hey guys,

Since my dad has a 2005 boxster S now, he no longer needs his old boxster. It has now been put on ebay with no reserve, so check it out and tell your friends. Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4573633459&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

g35audioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 08:44 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
how much would you be willing to sell the car for through a private seller?
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 07:45 AM   #3

Sorry to break it to you but thats about average for that car with that many miles, not "cheat!". Cause I can fine 1999s with 50K for 20K all day long here in the midwest.
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:29 AM   #4

Valuation is always viewed from the personal standpoint.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Valuation is always viewed from the personal standpoint.

Speaking of valuation ( sorry for the thread hi-jack ) what do you use when determining dealer trade-in?

I have noticed that online resources NADA and Edmunds seem to have a very comparable dealer trade-in value for my car while KBB is about 10k less. Wondering what dealers actually use?
gRed04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:05 AM   #6

Several generalizations:

KBB is king of valuations in CA only. The rest of the country looks to NADA for values.

Edmunds buys its data, no dealer that I know uses it. KBB and NADA collect their own.

Lastly, none of the services you mentioned are used by dealers to determine trade in values. That is why most are baffled when they get a number from a dealer that is way lower than they had read online (usually).

We dealers look to offer a trade value that is more or less equal to what your car would sell for at an auction. The reason for this is simple: If I can buy a car like yours for say $10K at the auction, that is pretty much what I would be willing to pay you for it.

Now, if I don't really want your car in trade, then I will offer you a bit less, as it costs me time and money to take it to the auction to sell AND I may not get the value I am looking for.

Hope that helps!

PS-depending on how the dealer works the deal, it MAY look like you are getting more for your trade than you really are.

If you want to read more about trade values, go to my web site and check out that section.

www.belloffmotorworks.citymaker.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by gRed04
Speaking of valuation ( sorry for the thread hi-jack ) what do you use when determining dealer trade-in?

I have noticed that online resources NADA and Edmunds seem to have a very comparable dealer trade-in value for my car while KBB is about 10k less. Wondering what dealers actually use?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote