Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxsters and Cayman Cars for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2011, 07:45 AM   #1

WTB: 03/04 convertible top with glass window.

Hey folks.

I'm interested in replacing my current plastic window with a glass window. I've heard that 03/04 OEM top exchange is the easiest way to do it. If you have one, please PM me your price. Thanks.

-Tuan

Old 03-20-2011, 07:01 PM   #2

Hey Tuan,

I'm in the same boat. Let me know if you find a source for these. Guessing it would have to be someone a salvage place?
TennisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:55 AM   #3
Schatten-Baum-Mechaniker

I want one too.
tommy986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:47 PM   #4

For what it's worth, I contacted DC Automotive which appears to be a very large Porsche salvage / used part firm. They have an '03 black/glass soft top and quoted $2000 shipped (NC->TN). That seemed really high to me for a used top. Now I'm leaning towards the GAHH top.
TennisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:00 PM   #5

yeah, i called around too. seems as if they are the only one that has it in stock right now. but i agree. the price is kinda steep in comparison to what i have read on this forum. others have only paid about $1000. so, i'll just wait for a better deal. hopefully soon.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:44 PM   #6

Garage
I was recently looking for an 03/04 frame and top. I ended up installing the retrofit top, and I'm very happy with the results. I ordered my top from autotopsdirect.com. After a ton of research, I came to the conclusion that GAHH and autotopsdirect use the same source for their retrofit tops. They provided a 40 page PDF installation guide with pictures.

It took about a week to get to here after I ordered. I spent Saturday evening removing the old canvas, and most of Sunday installing the new one. I definitely took my time, however. It was a lot easier than I expected (the trickiest part involved spray adhesive), and the results look amazing, plus no fiddling with any top adjustments! The best part: what I had orginally planned for $1000+ purchase ended up costing only 600.

If you guys have any questions or would like some pictures, just let me know.
Tieniber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tieniber
I was recently looking for an 03/04 frame and top. I ended up installing the retrofit top, and I'm very happy with the results. I ordered my top from autotopsdirect.com. After a ton of research, I came to the conclusion that GAHH and autotopsdirect use the same source for their retrofit tops. They provided a 40 page PDF installation guide with pictures.

It took about a week to get to here after I ordered. I spent Saturday evening removing the old canvas, and most of Sunday installing the new one. I definitely took my time, however. It was a lot easier than I expected (the trickiest part involved spray adhesive), and the results look amazing, plus no fiddling with any top adjustments! The best part: what I had orginally planned for $1000+ purchase ended up costing only 600.

If you guys have any questions or would like some pictures, just let me know.
Pictures please... So not too bad of a job?..
mikes_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:24 PM   #8

i was debating that too. but i keep hearing that engine access was an issue. is that true? if so...minor or major issue?

so...easy, huh? wow..heard it was do-able, but difficult.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:17 AM   #9

Garage
Here are a few camera phone pictures I have. Unfortunately, I'm away for the week, but would be happy to shoot some with a real camera this weekend. These are just a few quick before-and-after shots. The "afters" were taken the Sunday night immediately following completion of the install. It's been installed for about a month now with no issues.

Overall, I don't think it was very difficult. It was definitely easier than I expected. I do really enjoy working with my hands, however. Just follow the steps, be gentle on all the rubber weather seals (they're 10+ years old!), and don't coat everything with spray adhesive. My fingers hurt a bit afterwards (there is some tugging, pushing, and fitting fingers into small places involved). Finally, you'll need someone to lift or hold things periodically.

EDIT: I haven't needed to get to the engine yet, but I'll check this weekend to see how access is affected, and let you know.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:43 PM   #10

Nice looking job.
Norminhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:29 PM   #11

Any possible way you could post the instructions that came from the top for removal of the top? That would be awesome!! Thanks
mikes_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:15 AM   #12

Garage
The install guide provided was created by Sierra Autotops. My understanding is that GAHH uses Sierra as their source as well. Autotopsdirect and GAHH use the same exact images on their websites.

PM me with your email address if you want a copy - I'd rather not post it online as it's not available publicly. I don't see why they would want to keep it under wraps (I think the install guide would help sell their product), but you never know.

Also, if any of you are in the Philadelphia / South Jersey area, I'd be happy to show you the top in person.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:51 AM   #13

Garage
My car got a wash/clay/wax yesterday after a dirty winter, and I snapped some more pictures afterwards, with a focus on the new top.

http://imgur.com/a/5Z2EO#2XmDC

As for engine access, I tried that this weekend as well. The top is definitely in the way of normal engine access. The glass bumps into the roll bar before it can fold upwards. I'm still working on the best solution for dealing with that...
Old 04-16-2011, 03:43 PM   #14

***bump*** for original post

still looking to buy 03/04 top if available. thanks.