986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxsters and Cayman Cars for Sale or Wanted (http://986forum.com/forums/boxsters-cayman-cars-sale-wanted/)
-   -   3.8L 2001 Boxster S Brand New Motor (http://986forum.com/forums/boxsters-cayman-cars-sale-wanted/19483-3-8l-2001-boxster-s-brand-new-motor.html)

tholyoak 01-31-2009 03:21 PM

3.8L 2001 Boxster S Brand New Motor

3.8L Boxster S with 50k original miles. lapis blue/full leather savanah beige interior/blue top. Brand new 3.8L factory crate motor just installed along with new 7.8 DME. Excellent overall condition.

Pics at
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=454612

edevlin 02-01-2009 05:20 AM

Looks very sweet. I would love to drop a 3.6 or 3.8L into my base boxster some day, but my little 2.7L is running too good.

Ed

:cheers:

shaman1204 02-01-2009 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edevlin
Looks very sweet. I would love to drop a 3.6 or 3.8L into my base boxster some day, but my little 2.7L is running too good.

Ed

:cheers:

Find some wood quick!!! :p

23109VC 02-02-2009 02:29 PM

why sell something that obviously cost a pretty penny to put together?

how much hp does this car have? must be a lot!

would it pass CA smog???

tholyoak 02-02-2009 02:55 PM

It is just a hobby. Allows me to have some fun doing the tinkering and someone else to get an awesome car at a reasonable price. I don't know what CA laws are but all the smog stuff stuff is present as it would be in a non-converted car and it is running new 987 catted headers so I see no reason why it wouldn't. In fact it should be even lower emissions than the original due to the newer design in cats, the newer air pump system, the returnless fuel system...well you get the idea. So in states that just do tailpipe and OBD type analysis it would be more than fine. In CA the visual inspection would be an issue if you tried to slip it through as a stock car.

-Todd

Quote:

Originally Posted by 23109VC
why sell something that obviously cost a pretty penny to put together?

how much hp does this car have? must be a lot!

would it pass CA smog???

Kirk 02-03-2009 08:08 AM

In California you can put an engine from a different car in your car, but it has to be a newer engine (from a newer model year) or the same year as the car it's going into. For example, you couldn't put an engine from a '98 into an '02 car. So you'll need documentation regarding the engine, which Todd should have. Then you'd need to take the car and the documentation to a "referee" to have it approved. The car would need to have four cats total (OEM for the S) to pass, which it sounds like it only has two. After it's refereed, then you can go get it smogged and finally approved.

Quite honestly, I'd just smog it first to see if it even passes. My shop doesn't even look at the engine when they do smog. Most shops wouldn't know what a stock Boxster engine looks like any way... If I could just pass smog and get it plated as a stock Boxster S I wouldn't worry about the whole referee gig.

Kirk

fragdude 02-03-2009 10:11 AM

So thats what my car would look like if it had a 3.8 in it... :)
I wish I had the change to take that off your hands. Out of curiosity, did you use the stock 986 muffler?

Adam 02-03-2009 01:41 PM

Nice, I've never seen a 3.8L conversion on the forums. Pretty cool.

Jacques79 02-04-2009 07:39 PM

Sent PM, interested.

Litronics? Hi-Fi Sound system? Heated seats?

thanks

tholyoak 02-05-2009 06:15 AM

Option codes are listed on the linked site

C02, North American emissions
XSC, CD-RADIO "PORSCHE CDR 220"
239, 18" Wheels
288, HEADLAMP WASHER
413, 18" TURBO-LOOK-WHEEL
424, CD COMPARTMENT
446, crested wheel center caps
454, AUTOMATIC SPEED CONTROL
490, -MJ 01 SOUND SYSTEM, MJ 02- SOUND SYSTEM HARMANN ANALOG
502, Valmet Production (Finland)
551, WIND DEFLECTOR
584, Rear Storage Box (above Engine)
601, HEADLAMP LITRONIC
696 CD-RADIO "PORSCHE CDR 220"

The wind deflector parts are not present with the car and cruise control is not compatible with the conversion.

-Todd

tholyoak 03-03-2009 02:56 PM

Car is currently listed on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120386821494

angman 03-11-2009 03:38 PM

Todd, happy that you sold the car yet so sad to see it go to someone else other than myself. Will you be building yet another monster machine? If you are can I request another silver on black model? I wish that I am technically capable of installing my own new motor but would have much greater peace of mind knowing that I just bought one built by you instead.

cheers

tholyoak 03-12-2009 09:49 AM

I guess, based upon the current state of the global economy I should be happy I sold it. However, based upon what I was able to sell it for, I wouldn't hold your breath on me doing one of these again anytime soon. I am happy the car is going to a real enthusiast, he has 9 other Porsches and a slew of other classic cars. Should be interesting as the buyer is an America ex. pat. residing in Thailand.

If you want a silver on black car, I am pretty sure a silver and black 3.6 that I did last year is up for sale.

-Todd

Quote:

Originally Posted by angman
Todd, happy that you sold the car yet so sad to see it go to someone else other than myself. Will you be building yet another monster machine? If you are can I request another silver on black model? I wish that I am technically capable of installing my own new motor but would have much greater peace of mind knowing that I just bought one built by you instead.

cheers

angman 03-12-2009 10:15 AM

The 3.6 Liter that you sold is back on the market? Is there somehting wrong with it? Can you PM me some details? Was it sold with or without all the extra CF extras? I am not looking for the extras as I already have all that.

Thanks for any help.

tholyoak 03-12-2009 10:43 AM

I sent you a PM.