Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxsters and Cayman Cars for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2007, 06:41 AM   #1

Boxster-S in Maryland for sale....

........June 1, this one left for a new home. Bruce is a former Navy flyer now doing charter flights. He also has one of those Cobra kits he's been wrenching on.

Thanks to our hosts for such a good forum for the last couple of years ...and for your good company. Cheers all.

j i m

Last edited by wetstuff; 07-25-2007 at 01:56 PM.
wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:00 AM   #2

Sold it. ..to the first person to look. ..for the asking. So, the first thing my wife says: "We can go look at that Audi." ...like Hell. Maybe next year when they, VW and Porsche bring out a small crossover.

Jim
Old 05-30-2007, 04:20 AM   #3

Beautiful dog. Bouvier?

Congrats on the quick sale. Are you still going to visit us?
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet

Last edited by Grizzly; 05-30-2007 at 05:40 AM.
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:03 AM   #4

Thanks Grizz... Soft Coated Wheaten. Irish backround. Non-shedding. I have two of these - 13yr old now - that I take to work every day ...take out ...feed, etc.etc. They're attached at the hip. Next time: one dog.

This is the second car I've sold off Ebay. Got the same relative dollars for a NewBeetle. Condition and options mean a lot. In fact if this guy doesn't have the cert. check on Monday - there's two other people who've said they want it. It's interesting; it seems it takes a few days of mulling and churning to come to a decision ...because the traffic is light and then Bang: a bunch of people want it at once?!

Lots of you are quite young here and perhaps don't have a sense how you are linked to one-another. About the last thing you want to encourage is someone to sell cheap - it brings down the value of your car.

Grizz .. I'll always be a Boxster owner!

Jim
Old 06-03-2007, 11:24 AM   #5

Jim, would you please give us your opinion on the Boxster vs the 997? Did you get the "S" trim?
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:23 AM   #6

Opus: That's pretty easy because I drove them both for the last 6mos. On one day: 2hr up/back switching cars with my wife.

I love the 997. The room is most welcome even tho' my wife is 5-4 and I'm a normalish 6-0/190lbs. The lack of a spare tire and the missing extra trunk are comparative negatives. The mass is noticable but the torque available is thrilling. The 997 is not as pretty as the 986 but very handsome. Yes about the 'S'. Even tho' I have no interest in racing or much into speed for that matter, I like the upgrades ...and feel they also come into play when it comes time to find the car a new home.

The Boxster by contrast is clearly more organic. You much more feel as if you are driving the car vs. directing it. You can feel and hear the 986 better - perhaps that small space for the jumpseats in the 997 makes a difference or there's more sound proofing. (this may also be what 993 people are saying; tho' I've never been in one..) The 986 - even with the std. shifter - shifts diffferently. It seems you need to be more direct whereas the 997 is smoother but more vague. I will not miss the convertible top. I kitesurf 2-3 times a week, so I get plenty of 'outside' and Maryland tends to get hot/humid, so the AC comes on anyway. Understand that all this is a comparison between a 2001 986 and a 2005 997, so I assume the newer Boxster has numerous upgrades besides the 03's backwindow. I did not consider a Cayman - simply did not appeal to me.

The big question is why I would spend about 2+ times the money simply to replace something in the garage that we (my wife drives them as much as I ...tho' she feels more conspicuous in the 997) only drive a few thousand miles per year where the differences are quite small? Well, when you carry no personal or business debt: you have options. The 997 is an option ... as the 986 was a couple of years ago. Cheers.

Jim
Old 06-04-2007, 11:13 AM   #7

wetstuff,

Great write up and beautiful car ! I still wonder whether I will be shopping for a new Boxster or a used 911 in a couple of years...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote