Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxsters and Cayman Cars for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2007, 10:58 AM   #1

Trade Fiero for Boxster

I have 3 Fiero's to choose from

1988 GT with t-tops, 5 Speed and 2004 GTP 3800 Supercharged engine, total restoration was done on this car. 13.0 1/4 miles times
worth 20k

1986 GT with 3800 Supercharged engine, Automatic, over 350 HP, low 11s in 1/4 mile.
worth 15k

1986 GT Convertible, Northstar V8 300 HP, Getting new Audi light silver paint job and should be done next week, Very nice car. 13.2 1/4 mile times
worth 30k

Pictures

http://community.webshots.com/user/lowfierogt

Want986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:42 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
I'm not trying to be rude; I'm honestly curious whether people are actually paying $30k for an entry-level GM from the 1980's. I can appreciate the Northstar V8, but this is a vehicle that, best case scenario, is worth around $1500. Unless those V8's are significantly more expensive than a 911 engine (unlikely) I can't imagine what you can do to bridge the gap between $1500 and $30k!!!
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:54 PM   #3
boggtown

Hmm... an odd scenario... I say sell them all. Once you get a boxster you wont be driving those things much. Also, since you like to do engine swaps, the extra cash could be useful for a 3.4 or 3.6 swap.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:04 PM   #4
Porscheectomy

What something's "worth" and how much you put into it are two totally different things. Especially with a depreciating item like a car. You'd probably do better to list an asking price than the amount that you've invested.

In addition, I think you'll find that you'll have better luck selling these cars and buying a Boxster than trying to trade. Good luck, I'd love to see what engine you stuff into the Boxster.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:53 PM   #5

Hmmm, fisrt car I ever owned was a Fire-oreo as I liked to call it. I say this because there were so many recals on them because of fire engine problems. Including the one I had in high school. It looked great but was always in the shop. You don't see many on the roads today for this reason. I'm surprised yours are still holding up. I would definately go for the boxster.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 02:25 PM   #6

I've got a completely original '86 Fiero GT and I love to drive that thing. It has about 78,000 miles on the clock and runs fine. It's not a Boxster but the engine sound is very impressive. Since it is a mid-engine design the handling is quite good. There are a lot of clubs and collectors that keep these toys running. Hope you find yourself a Boxster...keep us posted!
Old 05-10-2007, 02:34 PM   #7

Want 986,

I looked at your photos, all ready to crack on you, but I gotta admit, that Northstar convertible is pretty hot. I'm not willing to trade, but I do appreciate a nicely done car when I see one. I bet that's a blast to drive. Good luck in your search for a Boxster. You'll really enjoy it.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 02:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
Want 986,

I looked at your photos, all ready to crack on you, but I gotta admit, that Northstar convertible is pretty hot. I'm not willing to trade, but I do appreciate a nicely done car when I see one. I bet that's a blast to drive. Good luck in your search for a Boxster. You'll really enjoy it.

Thanks,

I know that most of these guy's on this Forum write checks for there cars so they can buy that slow Boxster all they want. I'm going to take that Boxster and Put a GM 3800 turbocharged engine in it and show them what real speed is. Anyone with a smart mouth want to race me with there BOXSTER? I will smoke ever car on this forum with my Fiero. When I put my 3800 turbo with 600 HP in the Boxster it will smoke everyone too. I get my hands dirty and know how to use tools. So back off and be nice to the new guy. Anyone want a nice and very fast Pontiac BP or e-mail me. Visit Fiero.nl to see what your missing.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want986
Thanks,

I know that most of these guy's on this Forum write checks for there cars so they can buy that slow Boxster all they want. I'm going to take that Boxster and Put a GM 3800 turbocharged engine in it and show them what real speed is. Anyone with a smart mouth want to race me with there BOXSTER? I will smoke ever car on this forum with my Fiero. When I put my 3800 turbo with 600 HP in the Boxster it will smoke everyone too. I get my hands dirty and know how to use tools. So back off and be nice to the new guy. Anyone want a nice and very fast Pontiac BP or e-mail me. Visit Fiero.nl to see what your missing.
I think you'll be surprised by the guys you'll find on this forum. There are some real car guys here. I, for instance, have a Boxster, but I also have a bunch of other stuff that I built myself. I'm not alone. There are several of us here that have projects going on, and not all Porsche projects either.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet

Last edited by Grizzly; 05-10-2007 at 05:54 PM.
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:50 PM   #10

Troll aka: Want 986:

When and "IF" you ever do this GM powered 986 project of yours I will be your huckleberry......Lets just go to a track and do some random test. 1/4 mile, 0-100-0 and around a track....You may not want to call out people, you never know what you will get.

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale

Last edited by JP-s-in st. louis; 05-10-2007 at 03:58 PM.
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:21 PM   #11

There are alot of People from the GTP and Fiero Forum that would love to start a Flame war But I'm not here for that. If anyone has a blown boxster or knows of a lead let me know.

Thanks for the WARM WELCOME
Old 05-10-2007, 04:36 PM   #12

Smile

I think these Fiero modded cars are cool.

I don't see any cause to be rude on either side.

Lets provide a warm welcome for our buddy who want to stuff a big engine in the Box. I would like to see this done and hear how it turned out.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:37 PM   #13

Quote:
There are alot of People from the GTP and Fiero Forum that would love to start a Flame war But I'm not here for that. If anyone has a blown boxster or knows of a lead let me know.

Thanks for the WARM WELCOME

No worries man you are the one calling people out. Blown is right here bro just a little ProCharger C1 for ya. But I like to call it boost!

I am not trying to start a war or anything but really why would anyone in their right mind trade a Porsche for a Fiero. I honestly like the Fiero GT, it was the first car I ever drove. You just have to ask yourself if and when you get a Porsche would you trade your car for a Fiero???

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:35 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
I was just about to mention something about JP's Supercharged S,lol he already beat me.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:40 PM   #15

yet another person that thinks it's all about how fast you are off the line.. put those hopped up fieros on the road course with a base boxster and you're gonna get a surprise.

Either way, Fieros were cool when I was a kid and i'd drop a couple grand to play around with one today but no way in hell i'd give 20grand or more for one no matter what engine is in it. You can pour money into a fiero but end of the day it' still an 80's pontiac.
prOk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 06:02 PM   #16
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Thanks,

I think if you re-read the posts, most folks on here are trying to tell you that your expectations for the selling price of a Fiero are simply out of line. You're dealing with a group of people who aren't afraid to spend some money on a car that they enjoy but no one's going to throw their money away.

I don't think anyone doubts that you've done a nice job with your cars and they are surely fast. The "mine is bigger than yours" response seems a bit out of line though.

I've personally put well over $15k into a car that's not worth more than $4k. I don't expect any kind of monetary return on my investment. It's an investment in my hobby, nothing more and I don't expect more.

Last edited by blue2000s; 05-10-2007 at 06:57 PM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 06:32 PM   #17

In all honesty, you may be better off parting the cars out. You may be able to make more money that way. Maybe by parting out all three you may get enough to buy a really nice 986 outright. While you seem to have some really fast Fieros, I would imagine the market for complete hot rod Fieros like yours to be limited.

On the other hand, someone can probably drop those engines in other GM cars.
ofcounsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 06:38 PM   #18

Obviously the Fiero is no Porsche, but a low 11 sec mid-engined car for 15k seems like a pretty entertaining idea. 30k for the Northstar version seems a bit much though.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Thanks,

oh man, first you WON't smoke ever car on this forum because i am owning a 2007 Ferrari F430 F1 i tell you what: your car is a piece of junk after over 120mph that my car has high gears all the way to 200mph also your car wont beat me even under 100mph too.
i know boxster is a slow car but still that is a Porsche and not a GM, fieros are only use for build those fake replicas, if your car has 3.8 supercharge engine with a Ferrari 355 shell might be a good thing.
yes, maybe a ferrari is too much to compare your car but i also i have a junk which called 1g Eclipse GSX, i made 8" on the 1/4 also you go dsmtuners.com you will find people done 6 sec somthing on quarter miles.

anyway, people will look at a Boxster more than the Fiero also 13 secs on 1/4 mile times is very very slow. a stock old Stock 300zx TT which go for $5000 will make better time.

Last edited by ferrari355; 05-10-2007 at 08:47 PM.
ferrari355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:53 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari355
i am owning a 2007 Ferrari F430 F1
Oh man,what a sweet ride! I looked up the F430 and I noticed that it uses the same radio as my 99' Boxster does..........Becker CDR-220. Oh well,you don't buy a Porsche or Ferrari for the stereo quality. You have one heck of ride though man,congrats!