Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2022, 08:58 AM   #1

Boxster revival - new "used" motor in and wiring refresh

Realized the motor was shot in Feb 2020 and then Covid hit. Began dealing with dropping the motor at the end of 2020 but lost momentum. Finally got it out in September of last year. Plans for the rebuild fell through due to logistics and parts issues.

I was lucky to find a replacement 3.6 M96-03 motor locally with just 40k on it in December. Snatched it up and it went in Boxster last week. Put in a new Sachs Competition Clutch and bearing and a FVD Brombacher deep sump with X51 baffle in it.

https://www.fvd.net/us-en/FVD20798801/fvd-brombacher-motorsport-oil-pan-increased-capacity-x51-style-baffle.html

I like this solution as it add oil but doesn't hang down too low and only has one gasket surface as opposed to the ones that put a spacer in there. Also put on a new water pump and low temp thermostat, although I have to admit - the ones I took off looked new. Since the car runs on a full custom Motec system - I needed an M9-03 to ensure that the wiring harness would work as well as the modified parts that my motor required.

Motor

In the interim, I installed an Porsche Motorsports electric power steering pump. I made the bracket out of some aluminum bar that I had. It's mounted to the floor. Since the car isn't stock and has no ignition switch (starter button) and the ABS module is on a toggle, I decided to power the PS pump with a toggle switch.

PS pump

The fuse panel or relay panel was never marked and I had no idea what some of the leads were and I had to sort out the 5 relays that were in there. After looking into it - I realized that I had a panel rated for 100 amps with 250 amps of fuses in it - and a few toasted areas on the panel. To make matters worse it was fed by a 6 gauge wire coming off the factory power distribution module on an 80 amp fuse. Also - 4 of the 5 relays were wired for a negative trigger.

This lead to checking out the aftermarket fuse panel. There weren't any open fuses - as I suspected. I've always wanted to sort out the wiring in the car - since most of the stuff isn't working off the factory harness, such as the radiator fans, and aftermarket engine fans which sit atop the engine on a modified cover. The wires were also haphazardly run behind the dash and in the front of the engine compartment. Some leads, such as the wipers were on a hot lead with no fuse! I spent almost a week of working on this to sort all the wiring, tag it, separate it and sheath it.

Luckily I was able to source a new fuse panel/relay block rated at 250 amps and fully wired. I got it from https://12voltconnection.com/products/ols/products It's split into two sections - so I can negative trigger the one side with the four relays and positive trigger the other. It's also fully waterproof. They were awesome to deal with and considering what was included the price was very reasonable. The new power distribution block is now directly fed by a 0 gauge wire. Each section has a 125 amp fuse and used 4 gauge wire to the panel.

New wiring for power distribution

In order to take the dash off - I had to get the passenger side airbag cover off - it was glued on. This lead me to thinking - if I could make this open, it would be a good place the new fuse panel - as the wiring would feed the switches which were right next to in in the center panel. So I installed some articulating hinges on the bottom and a carbon fiber plate in it with reinforcements that mount to the factory dash mounting point and now I can access the panel easily. Yes it's upside down. Due to how the wires exit the panel, I couldn't mount it to the top. It's ok, I have the correct diagram which will be glued to the door.

Since I needed new toggle on the dash, I decided to remake the Carbon panel in matte and use a bit thicker CF as the other one was a bit flexy. I also didn't like the old layout of the switches which was a bit haphazard as well. There was a toggle to switch screens on the Motec dash which I never liked and was hard to use while driving. The wiper switch was ugly as well. I had a push button on my steering wheel for my in car communications, so I made a new panel out of CF to mount on the wheel to accommodate two buttons. There were 5 wires in the cord, so I simply used another pair and wired the dash into a new matching button. I wired up a new plug and socket in the dash for the cable as well. I also made a new wiper switch and located it on the upper dash in a hole that was already there. I used a Gretsch guitar knob for the switch :-)

New wheel buttons and wiper switch

Old dash layout

New dash layout

Still have a lot to do. The PS pump needs to be plumbed to the rack (had to wait to do this after the motor install). As for the wiring, need to simply get the switches wired up, it's all ready to go. The motor just needs the top stuff put on - intake, etc. waiting on some new gaskets. Goal is an event at the end of this month. Wish me luck.

rastta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 02:12 PM   #2

Nice work!
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 03:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Nice work!
Thanks. LOT of work. Today spent the majority of the day simply installing connectors to the outputs. Tomorrow wire up the other side of the connectors to the actual fuse outputs. Then on to the trigger wires and switches.
Old 01-05-2022, 03:45 PM   #4

Good stuff. Really nice to see all that!
trygve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 03:49 PM   #5

Very nice work, the new switch panel looks fantastic.

Out of curiosity, can you provide any details about the push start system?

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2022, 06:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post

Honestly - I wish could but don't really know how it was setup. It's all tied into the Motec ECU and I didn't do any wire tracing for that.
Old 01-19-2022, 11:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post

push button start is easy.

Basically just running wires from the factory ignition switch plug to a momentary push button start button and ignition toggle switch.

you can find the wire details on rennlist by searching 986 push button start
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 03:38 PM   #8

Looks great - nice clean installations of everything.

The pictures prod me to get my wire pruning job done.
SPB #50
MaxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 08:01 PM   #9

Sick! Thanks for posting, lots of good stuff here. Great idea on using the airbag space. Mine is safety wired and taped in place but it's actually some very usable space! New dash panel looks great
1thenaton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 09:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1thenaton1 View Post
Sick! Thanks for posting, lots of good stuff here. Great idea on using the airbag space. Mine is safety wired and taped in place but it's actually some very usable space! New dash panel looks great
Thanks! I was tired of car yoga trying to reach the old panel and relays. Everything is all up and running electrical wise. Just need to get the top of the engine on - intake etc. and get it fired up.
Old 02-07-2022, 03:24 PM   #11

I like it!! Looks awesome.

P Cars: 1997 Spec Boxster - SPB #94 / 2022 Macan GTS / 2018 Panamera Turbo Sport Turismo ---- Other cars: 2021 F-250 Diesel / 2019 Golf R
Gone: 2020 GT4, 2004 GT3, 2003 Carrera, 1982 911SC, 2005 Lotus Elise and lots of other non-Porsches.
PCA National DE Instructor #202106053
nickshu is offline   Reply With Quote