986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster Racing Forum (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/)
-   -   how much plastic to remove (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/79436-how-much-plastic-remove.html)

rezanourai 01-24-2021 08:02 PM

how much plastic to remove

For a pure track car (trailered) I'm trying to remove anything I don't need or makes working on the car easier/faster. Been debating about the plastic underbody panels and the wheelwell liners. On the one hand, makes working on the car easier (especially in a pinch at the track when you don't want to bother removing the panels to get quick access to things), and could open up a bit of airflow to brakes for example, but then I worry about possible negative impact to aero and drag, and potentially taking damage to underbody if someone dumps a part on the track and I can't avoid running it over (or a cone or something).

What do you all normally do for spec boxsters? Remove or keep these?

trygve 01-24-2021 09:14 PM

keep it

Keep all the underbody and wheel well plastic panels. They are all for aero and proper routing of air to the brake ducts. The wheel well liners come off quickly enough anyway (and is probably only needed for radiator access or front bumper removal).

I've seen some cut screen holes in the forward facing part of the front wheel well liners, perhaps to allow radiator flow, but that doesn't make much sense to me. The hot radiator air is already dumped straight down in front of the tire through an existing opening.

ike84 01-25-2021 04:50 AM

Agree with try, keep the underbody panels. They are very important for limiting drag and upforces under the car

I wouldn't remove the entire wheel well because they are protecting important lines. I would cut holes though.

Two sets in the front - one in the front to vent the radiators into the wheel well and one just in front of the peak of the arch. Cover with louvered air vents to direct flow properly and protect the lines. Look at air pressure diagrams of wheel wells and you will understand what I'm talking about. This way everything vents up and out of the front cowl.

Same for the back, just one set of holes in front of the top of the wheel well. Vent up and out front the clamshell.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

JayG 01-25-2021 06:03 AM

All the underbody plastic is needed for airflow and cooling

For brakes, you can get GT3 brake ducts. They are not too much $ and increase brake cooling

Do a search on this forum for more info as there are 2 versions and one is a lot more $$

ike84 01-25-2021 08:38 AM

+1 to Jay's comment. $15 a piece from pelican. I just did this, they are substantially larger than the stock ducts and take 10 min to swap.

Racer Boy 01-25-2021 04:53 PM

I removed the rear underbody tray on my'02 (the one that starts just in front of the engine), and I noticed no difference in operating temps at the track.

itsnotanova 01-25-2021 05:33 PM

I personally would leave most of them but I would say 5-15% of the spec boxsters I've seen are missing the liners in some sort of fashion. Those 5-15 aren't any slower either. Most tracks aren't fast enough where that little bit of aero matters.

JayG 01-26-2021 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racer Boy (Post 629700)
I removed the rear underbody tray on my'02 (the one that starts just in front of the engine), and I noticed no difference in operating temps at the track.

the front one and its bits direct air for cooling. The back one not so much