986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster Racing Forum (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/)
-   -   transmission packed it in (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/75101-transmission-packed.html)

Quadcammer 04-24-2019 06:37 AM

transmission packed it in

yeah, so that happened.

Last session of a 2 day event at lime rock
117k miles on stock G86.00 tranny
Motor is 3.2L with some mods, about 290bhp.
always shifted pretty good, fluid was fresh

no name straight, I dialed 4, but no-one was home.

The shifter will click into the gate, but it acts like its in neutral...no drive whatsoever. Shifted ok into rest of the gears, but occasionally didn't want to go into 1st or 5th.

Drive home was an interesting mix of tinks, clunks, and thwaps as whatever shrapnel got bounced around in there.

Tranny is no doubt toast as it now grinds horribly in third. But I'm wondering if this was a gear teeth stripping or shift fork issue and if there is any remedy? I will take the tranny apart when its out but I'm curious if anyone has a guess.

Sadly the G86.00 is hard to find and pricey, so a low mile G86.01 is on its way.

rastta 04-24-2019 09:27 AM

I've blown my 6 speed twice. First time- the 1-2 shifter fork split in two and took out the 1st and 2nd gears. Second time I stripped 3rd gear and all the pieces took out the ring and pinion. Just put in a used box with 47k on it and a trans oil cooler.

Quadcammer 05-07-2019 06:34 AM

newused tranny is in. not a terrible job although lining the splines up by yourself is a biatch.

Old tranny is proper ****************ed. crack in the case by the bellhousing means the fluid all leaked onto my garage floor. Must have been some shrapnel that got dragged into the ring gear.

oh well, off to the scrap heap with that one.

Quadcammer 05-13-2019 10:29 AM

for anyone who cares, teeth stripped off 4th gear

WizardSmokey 05-13-2019 04:24 PM

got any pictures of the carnage?

Quadcammer 05-13-2019 05:08 PM

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1557796098.jpg

Lets start there

seningen 05-14-2019 07:08 AM

Last time I was out racing -- one of the grognards mentioned that third or fourth is common to lose due to spins.

The gears are decent going forward, but a spin forces them to take all the torque on the opposite facing and causes damage, that eventually ends up with missing teeth?

Did you ever spin and the engine die?

It's surmised: It's very important for the longevity of these trannys to get both feet in quickly when she decides to swap ends.

Quadcammer 05-14-2019 10:20 AM

I've spun it a couple times but always put the clutch in before I go around. Engine has never died on me.

Could be part of the issue though

rastta 05-14-2019 11:28 AM

That's exactly what my 3rd gear looked like the last time it went. No spins in the car.

robdelorenzo 05-15-2019 05:11 AM

"....but always put the clutch in before I go around"
This has to be one of the best things I have ever read on here! I smile and laugh every time I think about this (I have never tracked..yet). And, it's probably good advice, as it may be useful some day.:cheers:

Quadcammer 05-15-2019 12:03 PM

haha, that makes it sound like I make a habit of facing the way I've come.

I've spun the car totally twice, one in rain and once after putting the power down after a stream of water running across a dry track.

for the most part, in the dry, i end up pointed in the right direction.

but if you aren't pushing, you aren't learning

NewArt 05-15-2019 02:24 PM

«****but always put the clutch in before I go around.****» Haha, QC, you’re a marked man now!:cool: