986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster Racing Forum (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/)
-   -   IMS bearing and dry sump (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/74819-ims-bearing-dry-sump.html)

brainles71 03-19-2019 05:56 PM

IMS bearing and accusump

So this isn't another debate on which/who's bearing is better but i was thinking about how a dry sump (accusump) can't really be used with LN's DOF solution.

When you guys track your cars with a dry sump are you just treating the bearing as a consumable and replacing it every X km/miles/track hours? Or have I jumped the gun and missed something else entirely.

JFP in PA 03-19-2019 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brainles71 (Post 591329)
So this isn't another debate on which/who's bearing is better but i was thinking about how a dry sump (accusump) can't really be used with LN's DOF solution.

Let's start with the obvious: (1) A dry sump is not and accusump, nor is the opposite correct. (2) LN does not make the DOF, they produce several types of retrofits, including the patented IMS Solution.

brainles71 03-19-2019 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 591337)
Let's start with the obvious: (1) A dry sump is not and accusump, nor is the opposite correct. (2) LN does not make the DOF, they produce several types of retrofits, including the patented IMS Solution.

Apologies for getting my terminology incorrect I'm still learning. Let me rephrase my questions.

When using a system such as the accusump and an LN bearing do you simply have to forgo the oil pressure feed?

For those who track their car regularly are you simply replacing the bearing every X number of km/miles/track hours.

truegearhead 03-20-2019 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brainles71 (Post 591343)
Apologies for getting my terminology incorrect I'm still learning. Let me rephrase my questions.

When using a system such as the accusump and an LN bearing do you simply have to forgo the oil pressure feed?

For those who track their car regularly are you simply replacing the bearing every X number of km/miles/track hours.

A boxster’s standard oil feed does not deliver oil to the IMS bearing, an accusump and a dry sump also do not deliver oil to the IMS. The problem is oil ends up getting into the intermediate shaft and then the IMS anyways, almost all Boxster have oil in their IMS bearings. If your car happens to be supplying enough oil to the bearing through the intermediate shaft you may not have a failure. If just enough oil gets in the grease in the bearing will be washed oil and the bearing will fail. The type of oil system you have (dry sump, accusump, stock) has no impact on this process. The IMS direct oil feed works with any oil system and adds an oil line to provide enough oil to keep the bearing lubricated, this replaces the grease in the bearing. As to your when to replace question. If you have a direct oil feed there’s no need to replace it. If you have any other IMS bearing in place it should be replaced whenever you do your clutch. I’ve replaced mine three times. All improved bearings. All of the seals had failed.

steved0x 03-20-2019 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brainles71 (Post 591343)

The Techno/Pedro DOF feeds from the left side valve cover port, so that would not interfere with an accusump, which is typically fed from either an oil filter sandwich plate, or Pedro has a solution where he welded a boss onto the oil/water heat exchanger to feed the accusump.

The LN ISM solution feeds from a custom spin on oil filter adapter plate, and I guess you could sandwich another adapter below that one to feed the accusump but then you would be looking at a quite tall assembly.

I personally do not use an accusump (although I do like them) as I was able to (to my satisfaction) resolve my oiling with the LN 2 QT deep sump and additional cooling via switches to run the radiator fans on high. I have the LN ceramic dual row bearing and have no plans to switch it out, it has been in there since 2012 and around 49-50K miles.

AZ986S 03-26-2019 10:59 AM

In my case, I purchased a used engine that had been factory rebuilt with the Large IMS bearing. I pulled the oil seal so it can be lubricated by the engine oil. I also track my car almost exclusively and it certainly sees enough sloshing oil IMO. So I have no plans on replacing it. So far, 60 hrs of track time on it and runs like a champ. I must admit that I also have a custom Accusump set up with a EBS oil baffle system, but that does not relate to the IMS bearing, but IMO helps in reducing M9x engine failure related to oil starvation. If you can design a low cost dry sump for these cars, you will sell quite a few.

rastta 03-26-2019 04:14 PM

My 3.6 in my car is a 2005 and has the upgraded larger IMS that requires engine disassembly to replace. My 3.4 in my 2008 Cayman S is the same. So I had this done when I had the clutch replaced in my Cayman S and the flywheel fixed in my Boxster.
https://specialtycarsservicecenter.com/projects/cars/2006-997-m97-engine-ims-bearing-seal-removal/