986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster Racing Forum (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/)
-   -   Casualty of the track. (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/72030-casualty-track.html)

jsceash 05-04-2018 06:06 AM

Casualty of the track.

I posted some video of the Corvette club DE at the Pocono. The car started to run warm on Saturday. This got to the point were I had a noticeable vibration from the engine. My first thought was I was losing the water pump. Turns out the AC compressor was dying. I had a smaller belt to skip the AC Compressor. I swapped it out the belts and the car ran great all day Sunday.

The question is this would you take out the compressor and associated hard ware off for more weight loss or replace the compressor? I'm going to say I run equal parts track and street with the car now. I have an aggressive alignment that I leave on the car because of the cost of alignments $160 at the dealer. So I'm not switching from street to track alignment.

Because of the GT3 control arm and adjustable camber plates I prefer the dealer for their knowledge rather than Midas or Joe's Alignment shop.

Quadcammer 05-04-2018 06:28 AM

if you drive the car on the street 50% of the time, I'd 100% want to keep the A/C.

husker boxster 05-04-2018 08:09 AM

Plus I've used AC while sitting on the grid on a hot day. Shut it off once the session is released.

The Radium King 05-04-2018 08:15 AM

i ditched mine. less parasitic loss, less weight, better cooling with the condensors out of the way of the radiators.

and i sweat like a whore in church when it gets hot out.

Cunningr 05-04-2018 08:24 AM

Other thing to consider is if you ever decide to sell the car, it will make it less desirable. I agree if you 50 percent street or any better keep the ac. If you were building a spec racer then different situation.

jsceash 05-04-2018 10:08 AM

The car will never be stock again but also never be a speck track car because it has too many mods.

Weight lost already is all the carpets because they were worn out and had an odd smell like burnt oil.

Frunk and trunk carpet gone.

Electric PS all plumbing to motor removed.

Soft top was removed for track days but is easy to re-install

Aero rear bumper and some of the heat shielding removed to get air out of motor compartment.

NewArt 05-04-2018 10:32 AM

Sweat like a whore in church! Haha never heard that one. :D

Lemming 05-05-2018 04:19 AM

Pull it and all associated parts. Sounds like a full-fledged track car in the making.

seningen 05-05-2018 09:13 AM

Your in Pa, ditch the AC

It’s not that hot most of the year and go top less when it is.

In Texas, that’s another story, but I’ve had drive to the track cars without AC here, sure I prefer it, but as long as it’s not. DD since it’s decided to not work, I’d dump it and save the coin for tires!

I run a coolshirt or if that’s not possible one if those Walgreens cool oaks across your chest will do for a session

Mike

eicheldp 05-05-2018 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsceash (Post 569478)
Because of the GT3 control arm and adjustable camber plates I prefer the dealer for their knowledge rather than Midas or Joe's Alignment shop.

I'm from PA also and I will keep my A/C. I sometimes run it with the top down on super hot days. You mentioned a dealer did your alignment, may I ask who? One quote I got from a dealer in my area was $250. Thanks

Topless 05-05-2018 07:56 PM

Race car > Treat it like a race car and gut everything that does not move you onto the podium, period.

Street/dual purpose car > I'd keep and fix the A/C. Way too many days over 90F and A/C makes everything far more civilized.

Protip: Find a highly active Porsche motorsport shop nearby and have them manage your alignment and corner balance. It will transform your car and pay for itself in tire savings.

thstone 05-06-2018 07:47 AM

Keep the A/C. Once its removed, you're 67% track and 33% street.