986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster Racing Forum (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/)
-   -   Weekend at Pocono (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/72015-weekend-pocono.html)

jsceash 05-02-2018 03:59 PM

Weekend at Pocono

A couple laps with the Corvette Club at Pocono north course. https://youtu.be/PbOc8sQ6KRU

thstone 05-02-2018 08:40 PM

Nice driving and great job of focusing on driving your line. The Corvette driver really "diamonds" every corner - very much a point and shoot driver. You did a nice job of bending the car into the corner on entry and rolling onto the throttle at apex.

The easy comment to make is to use more (all) of the track - often you're a foot or sometimes even more from the track edge and that is a lot of real estate to leave on the table.

IMHO, the Vette owed you a point by. :)

AZ986S 05-03-2018 04:27 AM

Yes great job. Much better line than the Corvette. You catch up in braking and cornering and he should have pointed you by. What tires are you running?

My car has a lot of the same mods you have, except for the 3.6 :D
Does the E Power steering pump make a measurable difference?

How does the car feel? Have you dynoed it yet?

steved0x 05-03-2018 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 569376)
IMHO, the Vette owed you a point by. :)

Yes, guys like that are the worst, they think because they can roar away on the straights for a few seconds they are "faster" :) They would swear it evens out, that our cornering is balanced by their power. I am going to write a program to animate two dots going around a track and show that if this was really the case, the second car would never catch up to the first car :)

AZ986S 05-03-2018 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steved0x (Post 569388)
Yes, guys like that are the worst, they think because they can roar away on the straights for a few seconds they are "faster" :) They would swear it evens out, that our cornering is balanced by their power. I am going to write a program to animate two dots going around a track and show that if this was really the case, the second car would never catch up to the first car :)

Please do!
Let's say lap times where exactly the same for both cars. That would mean that the Boxster would only catch up to the Corvette just prior to the long straightaway, then the Corvette would pull away and stay away until the next lap. But the fact that the Boxster catches up in the first or second turn upon braking, is a sure sign that it is quicker than the Corvette.

jsceash 05-03-2018 11:09 AM

I caught him about 5 laps before this in traffic and he did give me the wave by. He followed me for about 4 laps, and much like the way he hauled away from me on the straight I pulled 70 to 100 yards on him in the infield. I was enjoying following his line for a while. I was not concerned about getting by him. Some times at a DE you just play with a guy, its not a race.

Burg Boxster 05-03-2018 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsceash (Post 569416)
Some times at a DE you just play with a guy, its not a race.

Bingo... 'leading' is fun and feeds the ego but the "thrill of the kill" excites much more even when following point to point drivers... more so when they are in 'higher horsepower' cars as it drive them bonkers!

Have never run Pocono but will someday hopefully sooner rather than later.

Thanks for sharing :)

jsceash 05-03-2018 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burg Boxster (Post 569421)
Bingo... 'leading' is fun and feeds the ego but the "thrill of the kill" excites much more even when following point to point drivers... more so when they are in 'higher horsepower' cars as it drive them bonkers!

Have never run Pocono but will someday hopefully sooner rather than later.

Thanks for sharing :)

You should try a Northern New Jersey Ladies day weekend. Friday they run the north course. Saturday and sunday they may run any other configuration. Imsa South CCW. Imsa South CW. Imsa short (chops both turn 1 and turn 3 into the infield). My favorite is the Imsa South CW, very fast.