986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster Racing Forum (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/)
-   -   A dilema... sort of. (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/71659-dilema-sort.html)

Geof3 04-06-2018 12:59 PM

A dilema... sort of.

So, while doing the X51/oil pump mods, I noticed a tiny bit of dry coolant at the water pump. No signs of wetness, just some dry, pink residue, seemingly from under the pully. While I've ordered parts and what-not they won't be in till sometime next week give or take... here is the dilemma. There is an HPDE/Autocross event here next weekend, and the event reg deadline is tomorrow. Problem is, I'm not 100% sure I can get the pump done by next weekend, depending on parts arrival. I was planning to do the autocross. Should I go for it, regardless of getting the pump replaced, or just wait until I am sure I can get it done? I have not reached out to the local chapter yet, just wondered what you guys might think?

seningen 04-06-2018 01:13 PM

the problem is the seepage is probably from the pulley axle or the internal bearings going out of round.

You could lose some impeller fins or the whole pulley. Murphy would get his revenge if it were mine.

It's a couple hour DIY R&R, not hard -- just some awkward bolt access points. U-bolt with electrical tape is your friend.

Mike

jsceash 04-07-2018 06:09 AM

That's a certain sign you are loosing some water while hot. It's drying without enough seepage to cause water spotting under the car.

thstone 04-07-2018 09:38 AM

The rule of thumb is that all known problems should be addressed before going out onto the track.

I recently (Well, that didn't work out as planned) skipped an entire racing weekend (Sat and Sun) after going off track in a Friday practice and damaging the body work, cutting a tire, and discovering that the car was losing coolant somewhere.

I could have replaced the tire at the track, the body work as still drivable, and there was no obvious leak or drip of coolant, so I could have tried to race the remainder of the weekend. But I didn't because there were known issues with my car.

With that being said, could you go? Probably yes. Should you go? Probably not.

Geof3 04-08-2018 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 567332)
The rule of thumb is to that all known problems should be addressed before going out onto the track.

I recently (Well, that didn't work out as planned) skipped an entire racing weekend (Sat and Sun) after going off track in a Friday practice and damaging the body work, cutting a tire, and discovering that the car was losing coolant somewhere.

I could have replaced the tire at the track, the body work as still drivable, and there was no leak or drip of coolant anywhere, so I could have tried to race the remainder of the weekend. But I didn't because there were known issues with my car.

With that being said, could you go? Probably yes. Should you go? Probably not.

Yeah, thus the "sort of" comment. Just thought I would throw it out! Things not to mess with... fluids, suspension, rubber. :cheers:

husker boxster 04-08-2018 05:08 AM

No one has specifically mentioned your fellow competitors. Would you want to be the first one out on the course after someone dumped a ton of fluids?

It doesn't matter what it is, any safety issue with your car is everyone's concern.