986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster Racing Forum (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/)
-   -   Those with aero, what spring rates are you running? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/70600-those-aero-what-spring-rates-you-running.html)

truegearhead 01-06-2018 06:26 AM

Those with aero, what spring rates are you running?

Those of you running wings and a splitter what spring rates are you using? Any setup advice? I’ve asked this before but those of you that have tried aero on a 2.5 was it worth it? I’m experimenting this February with a wing and splitter setup at VIR, I’m very doubtful it’ll yield faster lap times.

The Radium King 01-06-2018 10:43 AM

can't give any setup advice, but interested in whether it will yield faster lap times. i'd suggest that the car will not just get faster; rather, you will have to change how you drive to get results. the guys that drive the wing and slick cars at our local track say that it is a bit of a gut check to drive them properly - aero works at speed, so you have to drive fast to realise benefits. on a fast track you'll see better grip in fast sweepers which is cool, but the real fast comes from turn-in on tighter corners - keeping enough speed into the corner to keep your aero working to be able to go faster into the corner sort of thing. you can't use the normal, iterative approach to finding the limits of traction (ie, faster and faster into the corner until you start to lose grip). with aero, the faster you go the higher the limit is, so going in slow initially will create a lower, false threshold. you gotta go in fast and be ready to deal with the consequences. fortunately, most likely result is understeer which a bit of throttle steer should fix yes?

rastta 01-08-2018 08:48 AM

I've got a front splitter, canards and a big rear wing. I'm running 700/800 f/r with 240/40/18 front and 275/40/18 rear. Moton Race shocks with adjustable comp and rebound. I mess with it just a little depending the track.

Lemming 01-08-2018 10:32 AM

I have not run aero on my SPB for obvious reasons (not allowed). I did however run aero on my last two race cars (3L 924s, and LS-powered 944). The 924s was light (2506 with me) and I ran between 450 and 550 depending on track. The 944 was SPB wt, 2650-2700 and I found 650 F/R to be the sweet spot.

RK is correct, you will need to learn how to drive the aero. You will be slower on some of the longer straights (drag) and need to make that up in the turns. Aero cost me 3-4 mph on the back straight of Road Atlanta, but gained me 1.5-2 seconds over the entire track.