986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster Racing Forum (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/)
-   -   Track camera? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/60020-track-camera.html)

jsceash 01-04-2016 09:48 AM

Track camera?

I was using a Gopro 3, and a Gopro 2 before that. They both have the same issue as my speed got above 125 the frame has a little cyclic instability. So there is some frame flutter at 140 and above it is almost nauseating to watch. I decided to buy something else. I purchased a Replay Prime XD It won't sink with my older version Traqmate data logger. Sinking video to data takes way to much time and it always seems to move alittle during the course of a 20-30 minute run.

I've sold my Gopro's and now my Traqmate. Would you buy a new Traqmate USB, Which says it can sink (start stop) to a Replay. A Garmin Track camera with the bluetooth ODB2 module or a Aim DL Camera with ODB2 adaptor.

The Garmin Links ODB data to video directly in the recording but the GPS has a low refresh cycle $499

The Aim DL directly links the data to the video as well $1199

The Traqmate links the data and video in a software compiling a new video file. $999

Looking for advice or experience in any or all 3 platmorms

Gary R. 01-04-2016 10:27 AM

I feel your pain with trying to sync video to data, it's never worked well for me and is usually an exercise in frustration. I have a Replay XL for secondary views but will be using a new AIM SmartyCam HD for video linked to an MXL 2 data system in my new car. You can use a SOLO DL with the camera also, or just the camera alone to start out to give you speed, laptimes, and G's data in the video. Turn on the key, video and data start, synced, and ready to view. I can get you the name of my AIM rep if you want to get some pricing and info. Your going to want a brake pressure sensor but the gas pedal position can be picked up in ECU wiring I believe..

The replay takes great video, if traqmate has a no-brainer auto start/sync function that actually works with NO input from the user required it may be a good option for you as you already have the Replay. Mine was hard wired in with the remote record button..

Topless 01-04-2016 12:05 PM

Wow that sounds like the hard way. I use Harry's/iphone to record 1080HD with automatic track overlay. Simple, reasonably good quality and even a caveman can do it. Worth a look, and also does multi camera with Gopro. Here is the documentation to show how many cameras and OBDII data channels it will accommodate. http://www.gps-laptimer.com/LapTimerDocumentation%20-%20Video%20Chapter.pdf

This one was shot in lower resolution just to save storage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrMvp1UK_5Y

steved0x 01-04-2016 03:17 PM

The Roadhawk hd embeds GPS and g-force data which can be viewed in their app, and imported to race render for videos with lap times, etc. No in car feedback.like predictive lap tines though.

It sounds like you are past basic data/video and looking for more advanced. I don't have any feedback on that , but there is a data/video acquisition sub forum on Rennlist, I can link.it tomorrow morning.

Gary R. 01-04-2016 04:12 PM

Data Acquisition and Analysis for Racing and DE - Rennlist Discussion Forums

thstone 01-25-2016 08:47 AM

Data and video is one of the most confusing topics (at least to me).

After using GoPro's and then wiring power and remote start/stop, I decided to bite the bullet and buy a dedicated system. I ended up with the TraqMate TraqDash HD. The color display is really nice and the data logger can control two cameras. For cameras, I bought two Mobius HD cams. They integrate seamlessly and the video quality is fantastic ($1,299 bundle).

Data analysis is accomplished via TraqStudio and video/data overlays via Race Render 3, Dashware, etc. I have used TraqStudio and it is very easy to use. I have not used Race Render 3 or Dashware yet.

TraqDashHD

rastta 01-25-2016 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 481433)
Data and video is one of the most confusing topics (at least to me).

After using GoPro's and then wiring power and remote start/stop, I decided to bite the bullet and buy a dedicated system. I ended up with the TraqMate TraqDash HD. The color display is really nice and the data logger can control two cameras. For cameras, I bought two Mobius HD cams. They integrate seamlessly and the video quality is fantastic ($1,299 bundle).

Data analysis is accomplished via TraqStudio and video/data overlays via Race Render 3, Dashware, etc. I have used TraqStudio and it is very easy to use. I have not used Race Render 3 or Dashware yet.

TraqDashHD

I use Race Render 3. Good program. However - my car uses Motec for everything - engine management, dash etc. Huge amounts of data available - but it isn't the easiest to integrate with Video so I have to sync it all manually.

ianacole 01-25-2016 01:48 PM

One of the things I found with cameras and racing is that running 1080i at 60FPS resulted in the symptoms you described. I ran all my cameras at 720p and 30FPS and that removed all the issues.