986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster Racing Forum (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/)
-   -   GT3 LCA's with stock suspension (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/59934-gt3-lcas-stock-suspension.html)

cellkid22 12-25-2015 07:15 PM

GT3 LCA's with stock suspension

Hi all.

I searched around but couldn't find the answer I was looking for. First is can it be done and second is there any benefit to installing GT3 LCA's on a 986 track car in progress without any other suspension mods?

Thanks

spendy 12-25-2015 07:26 PM

IMHO, yes there is benefit. By installing them on the front, you can increase negative camber enough to reduce understeer. This makes the car handle in a more balanced fashion, and reduces outer shoulder wear on the tires. I suggest starting with 0.5 more negative in the front than the rear (if -1.5 rear, try -2.0 front).

The standard practice would be to adjust camber to maximize tire grip and adjust sways for under/oversteer, but I have found the above works well until you get the adjustable sways in.

IIRC, there may be spacers needed to adapt the trailing arms to the GT3 LCAs.
edit- I think the spacers may only be needed on a 987 (I have both and I get them confused sometimes...)

cellkid22 12-26-2015 04:59 AM

Thank you sir! Just making sure I am spending my intial budget in the right places

steved0x 12-26-2015 07:19 AM

Yes, I have a 2000 S with US M030 sport suspension, and I had the front maxed out at around -1, as i picked up speed I would wear out the outer edges of my fronts. I installed GT3 LCA in the fronts, and am at -2 in the front, and -1.6 in the back (same as before). I have the adjustable toe links in the back but I don't think.i needed them, I got a deal on them when I got the front arms so I went ahead and had them put on.

Van914 12-26-2015 08:33 AM

You can also use Elephant Racing Camber Plates. Saves about $400 over GT3 LCA Arms

thstone 12-26-2015 09:24 AM

Yes, GT-3 LCA's can be installed with the stock suspension and they will work quite well.

They will allow adjustment to the required camber to get the most grip out of the front tires. I think that I ran about -2.2 deg neg camber in front and -1.5 in the rear.

As you become a better and faster driver on the track, you will find that even -2 deg of camber is not enough to maintain a flat contact patch and the outer portion of the tires will be worn to the cord with the center and inner portion of the tires still having quite a bit of tread. When you get to this point, the next step is to lower the car (coilovers) which will allow more than -3 deg of camber (I currently run -3.5 on my Spec Boxster).

edc 12-26-2015 11:50 AM

If you have no new suspension parts then a cheaper and easier mod is to drill the front strut tower by circa 5mm. This will get you to around -2deg camber. I've done this on both my Boxsters.

jimk04 01-18-2016 09:49 PM

And in addition to Ed's suggestion if slotting the the holes, if you use gt3 top of mounts in the reverse position to you can get over 3 degrees if low enough. I have 2.25 neg with the reverse of mounts mounted at eh outer most of position...Not inner most. So over 3 is poss.

Top mounts much cheaper than but more labour.

Lca more expensive to to buy, cheaper labour, and add track width.

Gary R. 01-19-2016 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Van914 (Post 477763)
You can also use Elephant Racing Camber Plates. Saves about $400 over GT3 LCA Arms

For a street/DE car yes, not legal for Stock class or Spec Boxster in PCA CR.