Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2015, 01:24 PM   #1

EVAP Canister Delete Guide?

I haven't been able to find a guide online on how to properly delete the EVAP canister. What can I remove, which lines do I plug, which do I leave open?

Thanks

martsink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:50 PM   #2

You cannot delete it, the car will code, and you will have problems with the fuel system as the EVAP system is how it breathes.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
You cannot delete it, the car will code, and you will have problems with the fuel system as the EVAP system is how it breathes.
I've seen several posts about people deleting them, but the steps are never outlined. I really don't care about the CEL, I'm swapping in a V8 anyways.
martsink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:43 AM   #4

I think most race cars remove it, because it's kind of heavy. No CEL or fuel issues for me. I'm trying to remember the steps. It's not complicated but it's a tight space. You basically undo one or several nuts that mount the box to bracket(s) on the car, remove the box, and you end up with 3 vent hoses sitting there. One leads to the rear bumper and is just a vent line. Another comes from the tank. And the last I think is attached to a valve on the filler neck? Anyway, I think you block off one of them (insert bolt, secure with hose clamp or zip tie), and connect the other pair, so that the tank vents to the rear bumper (which is what it did before, but with the canister in the middle). You do NOT want to block off everything -- if you did, as gas is consumed the negative pressure will want to squish the tank -- which is why you want the tank vent connected to the rear bumper vent tube. The issue is figuring out which is which. You can blow air into the tube at the rear bumper to figure out which one that is. It's useful to look up a diagram.

trygve is offline   Reply With Quote