Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2014, 01:19 PM   #1

Transmission Oil Reco's for 6 speed

The transmission was rebuilt about a year prior to me purchasing the Boxster. So with limited trips to the track this year - I'm at the point where I need to replace the transmission oil.

It looks like from the notes that it has Swepco 210 in it. That appears to be a pretty thick oil but I'm ok with sticking with what it had in it. Just don't know much about that oil and I want to confirm that is what was in the box.

Just want to hear from others what they've been using. It does have a Guard LSD in it as well.

rastta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastta View Post
The transmission was rebuilt about a year prior to me purchasing the Boxster. So with limited trips to the track this year - I'm at the point where I need to replace the transmission oil.

It looks like from the notes that it has Swepco 210 in it. That appears to be a pretty thick oil but I'm ok with sticking with what it had in it. Just don't know much about that oil and I want to confirm that is what was in the box.

Just want to hear from others what they've been using. It does have a Guard LSD in it as well.
You need to speak to the Guard people and find out what they spec for it..
Old 12-22-2014, 01:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
You need to speak to the Guard people and find out what they spec for it..
So I spoke to the original owner of the car and the car actually had Motul 300 LS in it. Spoke to Guard and Copan transmissions and both said to use Motul 300 NON LS in it or Mobil Delvac 75-90. So I ordered Motul 300.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastta View Post
So I spoke to the original owner of the car and the car actually had Motul 300 LS in it. Spoke to Guard and Copan transmissions and both said to use Motul 300 NON LS in it or Mobil Delvac 75-90. So I ordered Motul 300.
I thought as much. The LSD is the limiting factor on what to use, so it never hurts to ask the unit's supplier.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
I thought as much. The LSD is the limiting factor on what to use, so it never hurts to ask the unit's supplier.
Yeah - would have intuitively thought use the LS for limited slip - but they said that it makes it too slippery and doesn't allow the LSD to work as well.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:45 PM   #6

I had different problems with the MT Transmission oil. First used 75W-90 from Fuchs (don't know if that is availabale in the US). In the end i ended up with Shell Spirax 75W-90 which is the OEM oil that Posche uses. This is very hard to get in germany, because they only sell 20 and 209 litre barrels. Maybe it is easier to get in the US in 1 litre.

If have a LSD you'll need another oil.

Regards
Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 12:57 PM   #7

I'm using the Fuchs (we have it here) but I'm running MUCH thicker than anyone listed here (full race cars) My 5sp trans failures dropped dramatically with the thicker gear lube. I found the gear lube coolers to be a band-aid. All the cooler did was keep the standard issue gear lube from breaking down. So? Run a thicker gear oil. We are not trying to drive the race cars in 30deg. weather. I just pre-run the car prior to the first session and let the engine temp and rotating input shaft of the trans warm things up
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post
I'm using the Fuchs (we have it here) but I'm running MUCH thicker than anyone listed here (full race cars) My 5sp trans failures dropped dramatically with the thicker gear lube. I found the gear lube coolers to be a band-aid. All the cooler did was keep the standard issue gear lube from breaking down. So? Run a thicker gear oil. We are not trying to drive the race cars in 30deg. weather. I just pre-run the car prior to the first session and let the engine temp and rotating input shaft of the trans warm things up
I ran the Fuch Titan in my rebuilt trans in my old S4 but just the normal 75-90 weight. The place that did my trans swears by it. What weight are you running?