986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster Racing Forum (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/)
-   -   Help w/ Hawk HP Plus Pad install for trackday tomorrow (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/50628-help-w-hawk-hp-plus-pad-install-trackday-tomorrow.html)

Mcarr 02-05-2014 01:39 PM

Help w/ Hawk HP Plus Pad install for trackday tomorrow

I'm up against the clock regarding the amount of items I need to complete for a trackday tomorrow and of course I hit a snag.
I decided to try a Hawk HP Plus pad with my 2010 Boxster S.
The rears were a fine fit. Fronts are the issue. They fit except for the spring piece that holds the pads in place simply will not work with this pad (unless I'm missing something). Anyone else come across this?
The Part number is HB550N.634 which according to Hawk is the correct pad. Hawk could not answer my question.
Help please!
Mike

BYprodriver 02-05-2014 03:37 PM

Without pictures I don't think you will get much help here as we have old 986's.

Probably get quicker service at planet-9.com

LAP1DOUG 02-05-2014 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mcarr (Post 384811)
I'm up against the clock regarding the amount of items I need to complete for a trackday tomorrow and of course I hit a snag.
I decided to try a Hawk HP Plus pad with my 2010 Boxster S.
The rears were a fine fit. Fronts are the issue. They fit except for the spring piece that holds the pads in place simply will not work with this pad (unless I'm missing something). Anyone else come across this?
The Part number is HB550N.634 which according to Hawk is the correct pad. Hawk could not answer my question.
Help please!
Mike

I have never experienced the HP+ pads, but I read a lot about them on Rennlist and Bimmerforums when I was thinking about trying them. From what I recall they are not very good for track days, even though they are advertised as a do it all pad for auto-x and track days. From what I understand, the OEM pads are as good or better, so you may want to stay with OEM, and just check them every session.

Mcarr 02-05-2014 07:14 PM

The pics aren't great, but they highlight the piece I'm referencing that simply won't fit. Do I absolutely need this for a track day or is it more for noise reduction?
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1391659965.jpg

steved0x 02-05-2014 07:31 PM

When I changed mine (2000S) I had to bend the piece you show a decent amount. Can you post a picture of the new pad next to the one that came out? Are they the same shape up top? If so that spring should go back in the same way. I think that spring holds the pads in; I wouldn't want to run without it.

Steve

RandallNeighbour 02-05-2014 07:35 PM

My springs are really hard to press in to get the pin to go through... Is this what you're having a difficult time doing?

thstone 02-05-2014 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mcarr (Post 384882)
The pics aren't great, but they highlight the piece I'm referencing that simply won't fit. Do I absolutely need this for a track day or is it more for noise reduction?
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1391659965.jpg

That is the spring that keeps pressure on the pads. You need it.

I can't tell from the photo but be sure that the little clip on the spring for the brake sensor is on the correct end (either up or down, can't remember but I think it goes on the down side closest to the ground). If you have the spring upside down it may not compress properly resulting in a poor fit.

Otherwise, compare the new pads to the old ones to be sure that they are an exact replacement fitting. If not, you may have the wrong pads.

And last, compare the problem installation to the photos that you took before you removed the old pads. You did take photos, right? :) Ask me how I know.

Brad Roberts 02-06-2014 08:19 AM

Mcarr <<<<

Call me:

909-989-2991

I know the owner of Hawk (his last name is Roberts) :)

and Tom.. :cheers: I stopped running that spring clip 8 years ago. None of my cars have it :) NO Wilwood caliper comes with it.. No AP caliper..

It's to keep the pads from squeaking on the street (oh and it traps heat being thrown off by the rotor)

Mcarr 02-06-2014 10:47 AM

Brad- Tried calling ya....I'm at (916) 599-2520

thstone 02-06-2014 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Roberts (Post 384950)
and Tom.. :cheers: I stopped running that spring clip 8 years ago. None of my cars have it :) NO Wilwood caliper comes with it.. No AP caliper..

It's to keep the pads from squeaking on the street (oh and it traps heat being thrown off by the rotor)

I learn something new every day here on this forum! :)

trygve 02-06-2014 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Roberts (Post 384950)
Mcarr <<<<

Plus those things are HEAVY, right Brad? And they're unsprung weight! ;) My car needs to continue to go further on a diet.

I ran without them for an event or two but eventually put them back for some reason I can't recall right now. I think I wanted to rule out lack of these clips as a cause for some other issue like my uneven pad wear.