986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster Racing Forum (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/)
-   -   POC Race Clinic Video (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/50561-poc-race-clinic-video.html)

thstone 02-01-2014 10:33 AM

POC Race Clinic Video

Here is some video from the race at the conclusion of the POC Racers Clinic last weekend.

Candidate racers are required to complete two Racers Clinics before being approved for a provisional race license. Each Clinic consists of a full weekend of racing drills and is intended to teach the basics of wheel to wheel racing. Candidates attend classroom sessions and then demonstrate on-track that they have the requisite skills. A demo race is held at the end of each clinic. Not everyone passes the Clinic. It is demanding, exhausting, thrilling, and intense.

I am pleased to say that I passed both the Dec and Jan clinics and will be starting my first three races next weekend (one on Sat and two on Sunday).

The Porsche Owners Club offers year-round DE, Time Attack, and Club racing events at some of the best tracks in the Western US (https://porscheclubracing.org/)

I've added some commentary at the bottom of the frame to provide an idea of what was going thru my head... Hope you like my pass at the end!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Zz7nS7uE4gI?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Watch it full screen here:
Stone BSR POC Racing Clinic Jan 2014 - YouTube

BruceH 02-01-2014 10:50 AM

Sweet:D Love the video, especially the sub titles:cheers:

jaykay 02-01-2014 03:51 PM

Nice over under!

Porsche9 02-01-2014 06:31 PM

Congrats on your provisional race license. Looks like you are having a great time. Just did a DE today and had a blast myself. Made huge progress in learning but man do I have much to learn to get to the level you are at.

steved0x 02-01-2014 07:36 PM

Congrats! Good luck next weekend! Edit: nice pass!

RedTele58 02-02-2014 09:24 AM

Very neat - fun to watch!

Thanks for all the info you've posted on your car - build, testing, etc. It's given me inspiration and good ideas as I plan my build. I'm hoping to be on the track for the 2015 season.

Rick

Brad Roberts 02-04-2014 08:33 AM

As always Tom! Great seeing/speaking with you at the event! Congrats!

I wish you guys could have seen the smile on his face when he got out of the car after the last race = Priceless :) :cheers:

I'll see you **again** this weekend. 4 customer cars, 3 monster RV's, wives, GF's, employees.. I'll be busy :)

Brad Roberts 02-04-2014 08:40 AM

For those playing along at home, the white Boxster in front of Tom is Ira from Tarett engineering :) Ira is in what we call a "GT4" Boxster. Basically it's a HP to weight class with open suspension. We were just trying to get Ira through the school. It was only his second time on the new 255/RR from Toyo. He did "ok" and also passed the school. I should edit down Ira's incar video and post it :)

Brad Roberts 02-04-2014 08:49 AM

Tom? If I had one thing to say about everything I watched? It's minor but important for other people to know:

Put your VISOR down. I *believe* you had glasses on?

I have watched a friend roll his Acura. I also watched as Careflight landed and took him to the hospital... I stood next to his hospital bed holding his hand.. staring blankly at his EYE PATCHES. He didn't have a bruise or broken bone!! He had GLASS in his eyes from windshield. He ran his visor *slightly* up.. during the roll over you can see his visor "slip" up before the camera shuts down.

Not good.

Visor down :) I know what you do for a living :) It requires eyesight :)

silver-S 02-04-2014 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Roberts (Post 384590)
Ira is in what we call a "GT4" Boxster. Basically it's a HP to weight class with open suspension.

I can't find any info on what "GT4 Boxster" means. I'm intrigued. Could you give us a quick rundown on what that entails, please?

thstone 02-04-2014 12:30 PM

Quote:

For those playing along at home, the white Boxster in front of Tom is Ira from Tarett engineering :) Ira is in what we call a "GT4" Boxster. Basically it's a HP to weight class with open suspension. We were just trying to get Ira through the school. It was only his second time on the new 255/RR from Toyo. He did "ok" and also passed the school. I should edit down Ira's incar video and post it :)

It was a privilege to have someone of Ira's background in the class. I mean, almost every race car has something from Tarett on it, including mine.

And as long as we're dropping names, it was just as cool to have Connor De Phillippi drop by the December racing clinic and give us some insights and advice.

You meet the coolest people in a Porsche (race car that is).

thstone 02-04-2014 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver-S (Post 384608)
I can't find any info on what "GT4 Boxster" means. I'm intrigued. Could you give us a quick rundown on what that entails, please?

Here is a quick run down of the POC GT classes. As Brad mentioned, they are basically a open class of prepared race cars that compete based primarily on weight to horsepower ratio and tire type.

GT Class / D.O.T. approved tires / Non-D.O.T. approved tires (Slicks)
GT1 / less than 6.51 lbs/HP / less than 7.01 lbs/HP
GT2 / 6.51 - 8.50 lbs/HP / 7.01 - 9.00 lbs/HP
GT3 / 8.51 - 11.00 lbs/HP / 9.01 -11.50 lbs/HP
GT4 / 11.01 - 13.50 lbs/HP / 11.51 - 14.00 lbs/HP
GT5 / 13.51 - 16.00 lbs/HP / 14.01 - 16.50 lbs/HP
GT6 / >16.00 lbs/HP / >16.50 lbs/HP

More details can be found on the POC website.

A base 2.5 Boxster Spec would typically run in GT-5. I was pleased that I was able to chase down, catch, and pass ANY GT-4 car. :)

thstone 02-04-2014 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Roberts (Post 384591)
Tom? If I had one thing to say about everything I watched? It's minor but important for other people to know:

Put your VISOR down. I *believe* you had glasses on?

I have watched a friend roll his Acura. I also watched as Careflight landed and took him to the hospital... I stood next to his hospital bed holding his hand.. staring blankly at his EYE PATCHES. He didn't have a bruise or broken bone!! He had GLASS in his eyes from windshield. He ran his visor *slightly* up.. during the roll over you can see his visor "slip" up before the camera shuts down.

Not good.

Visor down :) I know what you do for a living :) It requires eyesight :)

Brad, yes you are correct that I had my helmet visor up and that I was wearing prescription sunglasses.

I won't make excuses or explanations. You are right. Safety first.

Thank you for pointing this out. My goal every weekend is to be able to return home to my wife, sons, and yes, even my day job.

I'll clean my visor and drive with it down starting Saturday. See you there!

Brad Roberts 02-04-2014 02:59 PM

That same friend? is in Europe right now testing a BMW for British Touring Car :)

Tom, I know there is a lot going on, a lot to remember. Just know that I'm watching out for you. I listen to your car, I watch you go through corners. It doesn't matter who builds what or changes your oil :) I've got your back and will always *help* however I can :)

Brad Roberts 02-04-2014 03:03 PM

GT4

We run the Tarett 986 car with a tuned M96 3.2 with a 6 speed. Chassis is VERY light. ALL the magic is in the suspension (as it should be)

I have another GT4 car we are building right now :) 06 CaymanS with a 2.9l 9A1 engine. Bare tub build, powder coated chassis :)

thstone 02-05-2014 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Roberts (Post 384646)
Tom, I know there is a lot going on, a lot to remember. Just know that I'm watching out for you. I listen to your car, I watch you go through corners. It doesn't matter who builds what or changes your oil :) I've got your back and will always *help* however I can :)

Thanks brother. I appreciate it. Talk to you this weekend.

thstone 02-05-2014 11:34 AM

Quote:

...the new 255/RR from Toyo.

I'll be running my first set of Toyo RR's this weekend (staggered 235F/255R).